Should SecureNAT be pingable from Server-Side?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
markeo

Should SecureNAT be pingable from Server-Side?

Post by markeo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Can anyone here SUCCESSFULLY ping there ENABLED SoftEther SecureNAT from the Server-side with NO client connected?

I'm wondering if this works for other people since it FAILS for me, and knowing if this works for others may help point me to why connections are consistently dropping each time for me after 12 seconds.

Thanks

inten

Re: Should SecureNAT be pingable from Server-Side?

Post by inten » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am

Must not. This is by design (c) Microsoft ;)
And even with a client connected.
You cannot ping a local interface that is not (generally) listed by ifconfig.

markeo

Post by markeo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:43 am

Thank you, Inten. Then this sounds like it is normal and not part of my problem. I'll post my problem here now within this reply. If it will later help to start it as a separate post, then I might do so later. So here it goes...

I've been Wiresharking the connection while trying various things, and so far nothing has worked. I have a Verizon 890L-470E hotspot that I'm using for Internet on the Server side. I have a moderate understanding of networking at this point, but I'm not yet an expert. So I have some confusion still about what particular things might work to try out. My problem is that the client hasn't been able to get anything (except for when using SecureNAT) to respond to its DHCP requests. Seemingly, the Verizon has been ignoring the requests, which I can see going out via Wireshark. Perhaps that's because the requests are traveling to the Verizon via my host computer's connection rather than via an over-the-air channel-type connection attempt into the Verizon hotspot. I'm not really sure. I have had, however, another situation where it DID allow 2 connections to exist over the SAME connection, this being when I was connected into the Verizon hotspot via a Netgear Wireless Router by using a Netgear Wireless Adapter plugged into its ISP Ethernet port, where it then assigned both of these devices a different IP number for each over the same connection (taking up 2 connection-slots on the Verizon). So apparently there is some way that a virtual-like connection can be formed through an already existing connection, but it just hasn't been doing this using the SoftEther VPN Server, with or without SecureNAT used in ANY configuration that I could try. So, in not knowing whether it might help, I've even tried turning on the DHCP Server on my computer's wireless adapter (Broadcom) that's connects into the Verizon, but it hasn't responded to any DHCP requests either, perhaps because it may only be looking for DHCP requests coming from the net-side rather than from its host. (And I've even tried turning on ICS in Windows XP as a long-shot, without this making any difference either). I've been thinking about trying to turn on a DHCP Server on the Localhost, but I'm not yet sure how to do this or even if it is possible in Window XP. (I haven't done enough research yet.)

When I use SecureNAT with DHCP enabled, with or without the NAT part enabled, the DHCP requests are being filled and the connection made enough that the client on Windows 8 (using SSTP) considers it a successful connection, but then it always drops 11 seconds after this! So I'm thinking that whatever has been stopping the DHCP Server from working on the Verizon hotspot (which I did confirm is enabled) must also be causing the connection to die each time. It may be expecting something after network broadcasts it initiates (using IPv6) and then not getting any responses back within the allotted time. Whatever it needs in order to fully connect into my network, it just doesn't seem to be receiving with or without a DHCP Server assigning out the IP address to the client.

And the connection status on the client side continually shows "No Network access" for both IPv4 and IPv6 throughout the entire connection period once connected, right up until it is dropped each time, after which they both then say "Not Connected" while the status window automatically closes. And the VPN Server Log shows "A PPP protocol error occurred..." each time; while on the Client, the event log each time records the connection drop with the "reason code" being 829. So these all indicate a PPP networking issue of some type involving something that it's expecting to happen within the PPP process. So apparently either the Verizon isn't responding as needed, or else something else is going wrong within Windows XP. I'd like to better understand how SercureNAT works at the detail level, being that I've been a C/C++ programmer for many years now and enjoy learning about how things are working at the lower levels. Perhaps a lot of what the VPN server does isn't done via TCP/IP, with it perhaps doing a lot of its things on the system in a manner that won't show up within Wireshark captures (as far as the connection is concerned).

So my intent is to find out what it should be doing next after it assigns the IP via DHCP. Or, perhaps there could be some type of an issue with it using IPv6, meaning that perhaps it might help if I try disabling IPv6 in the Client, being that Windows XP might not be handling IPv6 very well. Whatever the case might be, with my now being so very close to getting a VPN fully working between my two personal laptop computers (thanks to my using VPN Azure), I plan to continue digging and learning more and more about the PPP process until I finally discover what exactly is going wrong.

In the meantime, however, if anyone has any helpful suggestions or information that might help lead me into getting it working correctly, then I will of course be very appreciative.

Thanks

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:25 am

Did you make localbridge to wireless NIC?
Usually, wireless NIC don't accept promiscuous mode.