Installing softether vpn client on ubuntu 14.04 LTS !!!

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
uxhamby

Re: Installing softether vpn client on ubuntu 14.04 LTS !!!

Post by uxhamby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Last edited by uxhamby on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:00 pm

The SoftEther Linux client has only a commandline interface. And it's not very comfortable.
For a new "linux user", it could be frustrating and you may get some trouble to set correct IP/route (depens on server-config, like is dhcp avaliable....)
Just in summary. I would not use the SoftEther Client on a linux based PC.

I would switch to the OpenVPN Clone function.
Of cause, its only "IP" instead of Ethernet. But I would bet, you havn't any application which will use Ethernet without IP. (the only ones i know would be other VPN protocols like PPTP or IPsec or some very, very old pc-games.)

uxhamby

Post by uxhamby » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:14 pm

The flavor of Linux (puppy) I am using, has a native vpn client called 'Gpptp'. Is there any reason I could not use that client to connect to my SoftEther vpn at home?

Thanks,

BJH

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:48 pm

uxhamby wrote:
> Is there any reason I could not use that client to connect to my SoftEther vpn at home?

I don't know anything about GPPTP but the name sounds like its a PPTP-Client. And PPTP is NOT supported by SoftEther. And this woulkd be a reason, you can't use it.

But if GPPTP support other protocols too (like OpenVPN, IPsec/L2TP), it may work,