SofEther working great, got some questions

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
cfunk

SofEther working great, got some questions

Post by cfunk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:18 pm

With a default installation, are you connecting via SSL-VPN by default ? I have created a server on a VPS and some users an we are right now testing it, but on my connection panel on the client, it reads "(Direct TCP/IP connection)" I am not sure if I am actually being connected with SSL-VPN. I am sure I am making the connection client to server on the port 443 though, but not via HTTPS-VPN. Is there any other step necessary to configure it ? I can´t find anything on the documentation. I am in China and I have huge packet loss / huge ping and that makes me think that I am not penetrating the firewall and that my packets are still being deep-inspected.

I am not using a certificate to connect with the client, just user and password auth.

Also, another question. Is layer 2 bridge mode going to give better performance with online gaming than with secure nat ?

Some clarification on this would be helpful. Thank you !

dajhorn

Re: SofEther working great, got some questions

Post by dajhorn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:54 pm

cfunk wrote:
> With a default installation, are you connecting via SSL-VPN by default ?

Yes.

> I am not sure if I am actually being connected with SSL-VPN.

In the Server Manager:

1. Select the virtual hub.
2. Click the Manage Virtual Hub button.
3. Click the Manage Sessions button.
4. Select a Client Session.
5. Click the Session Information button.
6. Verify that Encryption = Enabled.

cfunk

Post by cfunk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Thank you, that did. I actually knew that I was using encrytpion but here in China things get hairy for no reason and you get paranoid :)

Thanks

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 am

cfunk wrote:
>
> Also, another question. Is layer 2 bridge mode going to give better performance with
> online gaming than with secure nat ?

Usually, yes.