Blackberry Z10 OS10 connects to VPN but no DNS resolution

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
vpnuser2014

Blackberry Z10 OS10 connects to VPN but no DNS resolution

Post by vpnuser2014 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:29 am

Hi All,

I have set up my own installation of Softether VPN on a Centos server. I can connect to it from my laptops using the VPN Client and Manager. I can use the VPN for normal PC usage, so I know that the VPN is configered to allow connections. I have set it up to have the same security settings as used on the VPN Gate VPN's.

The problem is making connections from a Blackberry Z10. I can connect to the VPN, but it is unable to resolve any hosts when browsing. Clearly it is a DNS related issue.

I give below the VPN settings that enable me to connect successfully to the VPN from the Blackberry.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the DNS resolution issue?

Thanks!

My connection settings on the Blackberry VPN Profile are:

Server address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Gateway type: Juniper IPsec VPN (NetScreen Series). There also is an alternative IPsec setting, Juniper IPsec VPN (SRX Series) - this also enables the Blackberry to connect successfully to the Softether VPN, but I get the same problem with DNS resolution.

Authentication Type: PSK

Authentication ID: my user ID for the Softether VPN hub.

Preshared Key: The preshared key for the VPN hub.

Perfect Forward Secrecy: Off

Automatically determine IP: On

Automatically determine DNS: On

Automatically determine algorithm: On

IKE Lifetime: 10800 secs

NAT Keep Alive: 30 secs

DPD Frequency: 240 secs

Use proxy: Off

vpnuser2014

Re: Blackberry Z10 OS10 connects to VPN but no DNS resolutio

Post by vpnuser2014 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Does anybody have any experience of this sort of problem?

vpnuser2014

Post by vpnuser2014 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:06 am

Blackberry is still used a lot by companies for its main strengths - enterprise and security. And the new OS10 touch screen is great for its streamlined messaging capabilities. The hub is great for "attempting" to develop some kind of order to the dozen email, chat, text, social media services that bombard people with messages daily.

Also, try setting up an enterprise server for the iPhone! Apparently it is virtually impossible.

So, the ability to use a VPN such as Softether on Blackberry platform would be great too. Does anyone have any ideas why the DNS is not resolving when I am connected to a Softether VPN?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:03 am

Could you try to specify the DNS server address manually?

vpnuser2014

Post by vpnuser2014 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Yes, I did try that, but had not luck. I will try again. Thanks.

vpnuser2014

Post by vpnuser2014 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Not with SoftEther. But I have subscribed to the Witopia service and it works very well with the Blackberry. I would still like to get my SoftEther server to work with my Blackberry as I run that VPN myself.

Witopia uses the Cisco Secure PIX Firewall VPN with authentication type XAUTH-PSK. I have it set to automatically determine IP and DNS.