Connect 2 LANs VPN Server - VPN bridge question

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dimb

Connect 2 LANs VPN Server - VPN bridge question

Post by dimb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:27 am

Hi all,
I am very new to Softether VPN, I have tried to install it on a working environment and have some problems on things that I cannot find out how to implement, so please your help is highly appreciated.
Let me explain :
I want to connect 2 LANs over internet.
LAN-A is 192.168.0.x and LAN-B is 192.168.2.x.
LAN-A uses an internet static IP.
I choose a PC on LAN-A and install Softether VPN server. I add one user.
I choose a PC on LAN-B and install Softether VPN bridge. I configure it to connect to VPN server on LAN-A and it connects fine, reporting connection established.

And then what ? How the other PCs from LAN-B can see the other PCs from LAN-A and vice versa ?
Also, when I ping from the PC set as bridge in LAN-B to the PC set as server in LAN-A, it does not respond.

Please note that If I use Softether VPN client to connect to the VPN server it connects fine and also works fine.

Thank you in advance.

thisjun

Re: Connect 2 LANs VPN Server - VPN bridge question

Post by thisjun » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:41 am

Because LAN A and LAN B segment are different.
I suggest doing these steps.
1. Set DHCP servers to lease same subnet but IP address ranges that do not overlap.
2. Filter the DHCP packet by security policy.
http://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manua ... y_Policies

dimb

Post by dimb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 am

Thank you for replying.
I cannot understand why it has to do with DHCP, since subnets have different segments and DHCP server on each LAN takes care only for local LAN's computers. I mean, the 2 DHCP servers cannot overlap in such a configuration, am I right ? They are already preconfigured one to give addresses e.g. from 192.168.0.100-0.150 and the other from 192.168.2.100-2.150. Is overlap possible ?
While searching and reading in order to achieve something similar using OpenVPN, I read that routers have also to be configured with static routes: Each LAN's router has to be configured with a static route to the other network.
Source :
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/security ... th-openvpn
But this again did not succeed.

Please try to explain or give a step by step guide, because I have been trying many days for this but without success.
Thank you very much.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:18 am

SoftEther VPN emulates Ethernet.
Naturally, a host can't communicate across different subnet.

You should set DHCP servers to lease "same subnet" but IP address ranges that do not overlap.

dimb

Post by dimb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 pm

Thank you again, but I still don't get it.
Suppose that I don't use DHCP on my 2 subnets all local IP addresses are static, then what ?
What is the configuration that I must have so that a PC with a static IP e.g. 192.168.0.50 can ping and contact to a PC of the other subnet with static IP e.g. 192.168.2.70 ?
Is there some step-by-step example to study ?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:27 am

Please use same subnet for both.
A host can't communicate with different subnet host without router.

dimb

Post by dimb » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 am

I cannot have the same subnet in both LANS (that cannot change) and there IS a router.
Each side uses a common modem/router to connect to Internet.

Maybe some static routes have to be configured on each router so that when a device from LAN-A calls an IP of LAN-B's subnet then LAN-A's router knows where to send such packet (and vice-versa) ?

All this time (almost 1 month) I have been trying to achieve what I asked in the beginning but I could not.
On the other hand, I managed very easily to create a VPN server and use VPN client to connect to it - and it works great. It would also be much more great if the first subject could be achieved - to connect to LANs.
Please is there some step-by-step guide or could someone post a short guide on how to di it ?
It's a pity to have such a product and not being able to use it...
Thank you.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:13 am

Please use virtual L3 switch.
http://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manua ... 3_Switches

Can you edit a routing table in your network router?
Most easy way is notifying gateway router address to far side network.