VPN to run private database

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
cdturner

VPN to run private database

Post by cdturner » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:40 pm

I'm looking to setup VPN so that I can restrict who can see the database on a server. so that I dont have to open the ports to half the known universe/Internet

I've setup softether VPN in server mode, I have created an account, I can connect to the vpn. now comes the next part.

As the server only has one IP address, how do I restrict things just to the vpn ? If I open the port on the ip, its global ? As its a hosted virtual private server, I dont get to add addresses to the ethernet card.

I appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Thanks

Chris

dajhorn

Re: VPN to run private database

Post by dajhorn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Create a new tap interface on the database server, bind the database server to it, run a RFC1918 private network on it using the SoftEther DHCP feature, and bridge VPN clients there.

Reusing the public IP address on the virtual machine is much more difficult.

cdturner

Post by cdturner » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Thank you for your answer.

I found the stuff to add a TAP on windows in the openvpn stuff. Turns out that using a 1and 1.com VPS server is a no go. THey ae supposedly shared kernel, so they wont let you modify the network settings. Turns out this is the biggest problem. So we will have to change that first.

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Note that the SoftEther client package for Windows installs a generic TAP driver. The SoftEther client and the SoftEther server can be installed on the same Windows computer.