Issues with VPN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Azalis

Issues with VPN

Post by Azalis » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:54 am

Hey guys

So I'm using this VPN to play a game on a Japanese server. Up until yesterday I could connect to any of the JP servers using Softether without any issue. But all of a sudden, now I can connect to any of the servers, but it does not register anywhere that I'm using a VPN. Basically to rephrase it, my IP and everything is still American. I've tried reinstalling the program. I have not changed any settings or anything at all. I just shut my computer off one night, woke up the next day and it no longer works.

I apologize if the information I'm giving isn't complete, I do not know much about VPNs and the general jargon is lost on me.

BoredAus

Re: Issues with VPN

Post by BoredAus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:19 am

You might want to read the responses from the other thread that you have bumped viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3924#p9215

I very much agree with what tqfinal said, that is if your IP address on the VPN adapter is shown to have an autoconfigured IP address, something like 169.254.*.* then that is not a proper IP address. Furthermore, on more newer versions of windows, checking on the VPN adapter it would show that it has limited connectivity for IPv4.

A functional SoftEther VPN connection should be using DHCP offered IP address not an autoconfigured IP address. The result of autoconfigured IP address could be due to many things including the lack of SecureNAT being enabled on the server side as tqfinal indicated or it could be your firewall setup somewhere that it has forbaded obtaining DHCP lease from the server.

If you do not have access to those VPN servers in Japan, I presume you are using VPNGate and those Japanese servers are VPNGate servers. In such cases you would not have access to their configuration and would therefore be better off trying other VPN servers to see if the issue still persists. If the issue still persists with other VPNGate servers and preferrably by trying other VPNGate servers hosted in other countries, then it could be a configuration on your side that has been messed up. In addition, the use and troubleshooting when using VPNGate servers, this thread does not belong here.