LAN to LAN bridge

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
tolgay.gul

LAN to LAN bridge

Post by tolgay.gul » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:59 am

Hi,

I would like to create LAN to LAN bridge for two different locations. I installed softeth vpn server on main Office and installed bridge mode on branch Office. the settings are enclosed. Somehow the two sites network devices not ping each others. There is not any restriction firewall rules for it. Any comments will be helpful.

Please check the server.png and bridge.pgn pictures.

Regards[attachment=2]SoftEtherVPN.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tolgay.gul

Re: LAN to LAN bridge

Post by tolgay.gul » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:58 am

Undeliverable-- Nobody? anybody?

quite frustrating

wwillett

Post by wwillett » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:25 pm

I have the exact same problem. I have not received any replies either.

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:31 am

SoftEther cannot reliably bridge a physical ethernet port through a virtual network interface, like VMware in this case. Only bridge real ethernet interfaces or TUN/TAP devices.

wwillett

Post by wwillett » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:37 pm

@dajhorn - I don't see any reference to VMWare or a virtual interface in the original post. I have the exact same problem and I am not using any virtual ports. Simply a PC in each office, one connected through a physical Ethernet adapter, on through its internal wifi adapter.

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:34 pm

wwillett wrote:
> @dajhorn - I don't see any reference to VMWare or a virtual interface in
> the original post.

Screenshot 2 part 1 shows that interface vmxnet3 is bridged, which is a VMware name.

> I have the exact same problem and I am not using any virtual ports.

It follows that you have a different problem. Start a new thread and be sure to follow the instructions in the SoftEther forum rules for requesting help.

tolgay.gul

Post by tolgay.gul » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi,

The problem solved by changed from vmware to physical server. Thanks for the reply now I am getting timeout while highly used network. The each others network devices cannot even ping (between branch and main locations) But when there is not too much tcp connections softether works without any problem. Is there any best practices/settings for softether.

I have checked the link.

https://www.softether.org/1-features/4. ... gh_Ability

Regards

dajhorn

Post by dajhorn » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:50 pm

> The problem solved by changed from vmware to physical server. Thanks for
> the reply now I am getting timeout while highly used network.

Welcome.

> But when there is not too much tcp connections softether works without any
> problem. Is there any best practices/settings for softether.

If the network between VPN sites is slow or unreliable, then toggle the "Disable NAT-T" option in "Properties" and set "Number of TCP Connections to 1" in "Advanced Settings".

Afterwards, if the small "connection" count negatively affects performance, then increase it slowly. The "Use Data Compression" option can be good for slow networks too.

SoftEther robustly handles poor network connections. Generally, if the network connection is bad enough that it affects SoftEther, then fixing the network connection is often the best solution.

tolgay.gul

Post by tolgay.gul » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:19 am

thanks again but it not helped.

The problem occurs while I copy some files from branch to main site. I can copy some files from main to branch without any problem.

The branch and the main site are connect to internet via Metro Ethernet (Fiber) and there is not any problem or slowness both of sites.

What should be the problem reason?

tolgay.gul

Post by tolgay.gul » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:49 am

Finally I could figure out. In my case I disabled the UDP acceleration option and now I can copy large files with out any problem between the branch and main sites.

to do that.

Connect the vpn server>manage virtual hub>manage cascade connections>edit the connection>Advanced settings>disable UDP acceleration.

I have also changed the number of the TCP connections from 8 to 32 from the same settings page and set connection time out (600 )

I hope It will also help your problem.

@dajhorn Thanks for the lovely tips and grade program.

Regards,