New ISP block my port or what?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mat_rapit

New ISP block my port or what?

Post by mat_rapit » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:43 am

hye...its me again.
im using a new ISP since the old one got low uplink but on this ISP i dont
have any access to the router (CISCO) or what so ever. If only i need to do port forward or open port...then i have to fill in a form for IT Dept in my HQ but at this moment i dont know whats the problem really is.

The problem is, i cant connect to my own server. I have try all 4 default port that given.
So..is it because of firewall blocking? If yes...which port do i need to open?

I've run wireshark and the only problem i see (highlight with black) is this :
394 10.579267000 10.156.37.xxx 58.26.127.xxx TCP 62 [TCP Retransmission] 54023→443 [SYN] Seq=0 Win=8192 Len=0 MSS=1460 SACK_PERM=1

Is it port 54023 causing the problem?
Thanks in advance..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BoredAus

Re: New ISP block my port or what?

Post by BoredAus » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:37 am

mat_rapit wrote:
> hye...its me again.
> im using a new ISP since the old one got low uplink but on this ISP i dont
> have any access to the router (CISCO) or what so ever. If only i need to do port
> forward or open port...then i have to fill in a form for IT Dept in my HQ but at
> this moment i dont know whats the problem really is.
>
It is an issue mainly to do with firewalls, if you can reach the server fine without connecting such as pinging the server.

If it is a firewall issue, you need open the four or so TCP ports as the SoftEther VPN Server requires and perhaps even UDP. See below.

If you can't even reach the SoftEther VPN Server then it is a routing issue which requires you to have some form of networking knowledge.

Presuming you have the exact same setup as you had in your previous posts, then it would be whatever your new equipment that you have or were given to you is forbidding the connection in between. However at this rate it appears you are trying to setup VPN server in a place where you probably shouldn't be in.

mat_rapit wrote:
> The problem is, i cant connect to my own server. I have try all 4 default port that
> given.
> So..is it because of firewall blocking? If yes...which port do i need to open?
>
On the SoftEther VPN Server Manager, it should tell you clearly which ports it requires you to open, those are mainly TCP ports. The rest for the UDP ports you could probably do something like netstat/cports to see which other ports the SoftEther VPN Server Manager is listening to.

> I've run wireshark and the only problem i see (highlight with black) is this :
> 394 10.579267000 10.156.37.xxx 58.26.127.xxx TCP 62 [TCP Retransmission] 54023→443
> [SYN] Seq=0 Win=8192 Len=0 MSS=1460 SACK_PERM=1
>
> Is it port 54023 causing the problem?
> Thanks in advance..

'54023' is the source port for your '10.156.37.xxx' IP address, port 443 is the destination port for '58.26.127.xxx' This does not signify anything in particular when you have not even stated the ports you have opened on your SoftEther VPN Server other than a connection attempt which is failing at 58.26.127.xxx:443.

At this rate I think you are probably better off telling the people in your IT department that you want a VPN server that accessible to you. Without a decent understanding of networking, it will be a learning curve for you.