Using VPN Azure - basic concepts

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
exeye

Using VPN Azure - basic concepts

Post by exeye » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

Many thanks for the excellent SoftEther project, and for offering support for it through this forum.

I think I need to use VPN Azure but would like a bit of clarification on its use.

1) What I am trying to do is set up a VPN connection between two Windows machines, each located behind a NAT. For security reasons I don't want to have to open any ports on either network. Is VPN Azure the intended way to solve this problem? Are there other ways of doing it?

2) If I use VPN Azure, does the VPN Azure server just negotiate a route through both firewalls then let the two machines communicate directly, or does all VPN traffic pass through the VPN Azure server?

Thanks for your kind help.

-jimc

exeye

Re: Using VPN Azure - basic concepts

Post by exeye » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:12 pm

Can anyone help with this? I'm sure that answers to these simple questions will help many people...

Thanks,

-jimc

exeye

Post by exeye » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:02 pm

I'll try one more time... perhaps someone has a minute to spare to answer these (hopefully) simple questions. I will be very grateful.

-jimc

Nemesiz

Post by Nemesiz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:22 pm

I will try to answer theoretically.

1. You dont need to forward any port to your private lan. VPN Azure will let your two PC communicate with each other by proxy traffic through him.
PC1 <-> VPN Azure <-> PC2

2. All traffic will pass through the VPN Azure server.