Unexpected Crash

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
cheeseng

Unexpected Crash

Post by cheeseng » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 am

I've used SoftEther VPN for more than a couple of months now and found it to be extremely pleasant to setup and use. However, in search of more free applications I found a serious compatibility issue with a free antivirus called Nano Antivirus Beta.

Whenever I make the connection to a remote VPN server using the client, it will just disappears abruptly. Checks in the Windows log shows that the VPN Client service has the following error...

"The SoftEther VPN Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

Inside the Antivirus application, there doesn't seem to be anything blocking the VPN Client. Closing the Antivirus entirely also doesn't help. Only way is to remove the Antivirus totally to get the VPN client to work again.

Any ideas to get around this issue is appreciated.

BoredAus

Re: Unexpected Crash

Post by BoredAus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:48 am

It appears that you have incidentally found the root cause of your issue. The best way is to probably contact the makers of that anti-virus software as it seems like that is the likely cause for SoftEther VPN suddenly being forced to terminate.

Personally I have never tried that anti-virus software but according to their site you could look into the event log that is available from within the program. Other temporary issues also consists of disabling web protection to see if that helps. Though really you should ask them via their support avenues.

Presumably you installed and used SoftEther VPN before you installed Nano Antivirus Beta?

cheeseng

Re: Unexpected Crash

Post by cheeseng » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:26 am

Thanks for your suggestions, BoredAus.

NANOAV just replied earlier by saying "It looks like the problem is in the VPN client...". This was expected very well expected should I be able to contact SoftEther support (if there is one). Nevertheless, they have also said that they will investigate their end of the issue.

The log in the NANOAV shows nothing. Disabling the protection or exiting the NANOAV also doesn't help at all. All I could do to make VPN client run again is to remove the NANOAV from my OS.

Yes, I used SoftEther VPN a couple of months before I install NANOAV. I just wanted to make this issue known to both for both of these software developer. You know, like a bug report thingy...

But at this point I would just call this a compatibility issue between these two software and make my own choice on which stays and which goes. Two neat software though.

Cheers!

BoredAus wrote:
> It appears that you have incidentally found the root cause of your issue.
> The best way is to probably contact the makers of that anti-virus software
> as it seems like that is the likely cause for SoftEther VPN suddenly being
> forced to terminate.
>
> Personally I have never tried that anti-virus software but according to
> their site you could look into the event log that is available from within
> the program. Other temporary issues also consists of disabling web
> protection to see if that helps. Though really you should ask them via
> their support avenues.
>
> Presumably you installed and used SoftEther VPN before you installed Nano
> Antivirus Beta?