Extreme slow download but fast upload using VPN Client

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
rocky024

Extreme slow download but fast upload using VPN Client

Post by rocky024 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:22 am

I'm new to SoftEther, but already like it a lot! Unfortunatly I experience trouble when using the VPN Client on Windows 7 Pro x64 to connect to my VPN Server.

The VPN is succesfully connected, but everything is very slow: Remote Desktop, file transfers, etc
I did setup: 8 TCP connections and "Half Duplex", but that doesn't fix it. I also tried disabling the SSL encryption, but that doesn't fix it either.

After that I ran the Network Traffic Speed Test Tool and that pointed out that:
- downloadspeed (from server -> client) was around 500Kbps
- uploadspeed (from client -> server) was around 35Mbps

The actual speed of the WAN connection between the two sites is: 40Mbit UP/50Mbit DOWN. So I would have expected a downstream of around 45Mbits instead of 500Kbps.

When I use different VPN solutions over the same line, I do have the full up/down speed, so I assume there is nothing wrong with the line or hardwaresetting of the interfaces in between.

Also the CPU on the VPN Server and VPN Client are almost idle.

I've also ran test from both client and server to the: speed.softether.com server and then UP/DOWN are more or less equal, so the huge difference in UP/DOWN only occurs on my client-server VPN connection.

I have no idea where to look for a solution. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

colapig

Re: Extreme slow download but fast upload using VPN Client

Post by colapig » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 am

have you use NAT in virtual hub?

rocky024

Post by rocky024 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:24 pm

I assume you mean "Secure NAT". But that's not enabled.

brokenglish

Post by brokenglish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:38 pm

This is odd.
I'd start with isolation first - to know where the problem lies, the computer or the network itself.
Since you said you can get the full speed using other vpn solutions, it might be softether protocol.
But, these other vpn solutions, were they installed on the same computer that has softether installed?

Have you tried installing softether server on other computer at the same location?
Did you use SoftEther client or the built-in windows vpn client?

The thing is, I can get the full 100Mbit Down and 40Mbit Up for WAN using the built-in windows vpn client (heck, i can get similar high speed using my iPhone as well - definitely not 500Kbit).

Softether vpn is one of the best discoveries I've made in my entire life - it is so coooool~

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:05 am

Did you use VPNAzure?
Did you measure upload and download speed at same time?
Does "UDP acceleration mode" active?