Bridge issues...

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
ByerRA

Bridge issues...

Post by ByerRA » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:24 pm

First I would like to say that so far I LOVE this software, but I have yet to get it working...

I'm trying to bridge the LAN from my main house to my weekend cabin and I've been battling it for a few days now.

The network on the VPN server is setup on IP's 192.168.1.x/24 The Asus-RT66U is at 192.168.1.1 and the VPN server (machine name softether-nwh) is at 192.168.1.2 with everything else on the lan assigned IP's in the 192.168.1.x/24 range from the Asus-RT66U router.

The network at the bridge end at the weekend cabin is setup on IP's 192.168.2.x/24 The Asus-RT66U is at 192.168.2.1 and the bridge (machine name softether-wth) is at 192.168.2.2 with everything else on the lan assigned IP's in the 192.168.2.x/24 range from the Asus-RT66U router.

The VPN server and bridge hardware is a Radxa Rock PRO ARM Cortex-A9 quad core board running Debian "weezy" server with a single 100MB ethernet port. It does have built in wifi, but it's not in use and not configured.

root@softether-nwh:/home/byer# uname -a
Linux softether-nwh 3.0.36+ #14 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 28 19:30:20 CST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

I complied from source (v4.19-4599) and when I ran the "check" in 'vpncmd" all passed.

My main house is running as the VPN server (machine softether-nwh) and my weekend cabin is setup as a bridge (softether-wth).

I followed the setup guide for a "LAN to LAN bridge", the VPN server is setup and running with a bridge to the network NIC. The "bridge" is pointed to the VPN server and has a cascade to the VPN server.

I have disabled the DDNS in the VPN server as each of the Asus RT-AC66U routers are already handling that for me.

The Asus RT-AC66U routers are set to forward ports 55558888, 992, 4500, 500 and 1194 to the VPN server and bridge.

The bridge shows a connection to the VPN server and I can see the session in the VPN server, but if I try to access a machine on the VPN server network from the bridge network, nothing happens, can't connect.

I have enabled "L2TP over IPsec", OpenVPN and MS-SSTP VPN in the VPN server and when I try to connect via OpenVPN from my Android phone I connect, I see the session in the VPN server, I get an IP address assigned via the DHCP server on the Asus RT-AC66U, but again, I can't connect to anything on the network.

It's probably something simple like a routing issue, I've attached the configuration files for the VPN server and the bridge and if anything else is needed to help diagnose what the problem is let me know and I'll supply it as I desperately need to get this going.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ByerRA

Re: Bridge issues...

Post by ByerRA » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:30 pm

The issue has been resolved.

For anyone else having the same issue, check to make sure that you have ipv4 forwarding turned on as it appears that by default it's wasn't in my distribution of Debian.

ByerRA

Post by ByerRA » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:45 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon...

I have the VPN server and bridge connected and talking and from the bridge side I can connect to machines on the server end and on the server end I can connect to machines on the bridge end.

BUT...

Here's the issue. While from the bridge end I can access machines on the server end, from the bridge end I can't connect to machines ON the bridge end network via IP address and the same for the server end (from the server end I can't connect to machines on the server end network via IP address)

So it appears that I'm still "missing" something.

Any suggestions?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:47 am

Server side and bridge side are diffarent IP subnet segment.

Please use virtual L3 switch or tap mode localbridge.

http://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manua ... P_Routing)

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:04 am

SoftEther VPN is L2 VPN.
SoftEther VPN doesn't handle routing basically.
So, you should configure IP routing.

BTW, NIC attached Localbridge (not tap) can't access to VPN.

xcomhz

Post by xcomhz » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:55 am

Just i experienced that if you are using another bridge with the same physical interface(for example virtual box bridge) your bridge cannot work properly