Problem: Softether-VPN-server behind a NAT/Firewall

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
testingVPN

Problem: Softether-VPN-server behind a NAT/Firewall

Post by testingVPN » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi,

I installed the SoftEther VPN server on a raspberry pi which is connected via LAN behind a NAT/Firewall. The client should be an Android as well as an iOS device and should access the server from the internet. I tried L2TP as well as an OpenVPN connection but I couldn't connect the Android/iOS device with the VPN server if they were outside the LAN.

The thing is, the router shouldn't be modified for this, so no port-forwarding allowed but if I understood correctly, the udp hole punching method should take care of this. VPN Azure is also no option due to the lack of an iOS and Android client.

Does anyone have an idea why the udp hole punching method isn't working (it is activated) or does anybody know a different method how to achieve this?

Best regards,
Michael

raafat

Re: Problem: Softether-VPN-server behind a NAT/Firewall

Post by raafat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi there, NAT-traversal and VPNAzure are essentially build on the same idea, and even if those were working correctly you still need SE client or Bridge to get a successful connection between the outside and inside world, but you said that VPN clients are smart phones, and that means no luck to take advantage of those amazing features. anyway, i suggest to install the SE server with TCP/IP level reachability place, such as your home or a cloudy service or any place you are allowed to perform port-forwarding on it, then install the SE bridge on the original site(the site that has raspberry device) and make a cascade connection between them then you are able to reach the original LAN that you are trying to access but through another hop. that may make your VPN connection slower than the original scenario but since you can't perform port-forwarding or use client or SE bridge then it's my suggestion for you.

If you like my suggestion i can provide you more technical details about how to get that scenario working.

Good luck (:

testingVPN

Post by testingVPN » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:54 am

raafat wrote:
> If you like my suggestion i can provide you more technical details about
> how to get that scenario working.
>
> Good luck (:

Thanks for your answer. I think I am going your suggested route with the additional (external) SE server and would highly appreciate your offer for more technical details.

Thanks in advance.

Askhento

Post by Askhento » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 pm

I know it is old, but did you have any success on the topic?
I am using raspberry pi 4 and the ISP does not give me public ip.