When SoftEther drops connection, how to prevent Win10 from..

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
DaveJones

When SoftEther drops connection, how to prevent Win10 from..

Post by DaveJones » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:00 am

Hello all!

After SoftEther connection gets cut off and it starts reconnecting, how do I prevent Windows 10 from using my regular connection?

I ask because I've noticed that my IP "leaks" when SoftEther connection is gone.

Thank you!

Dave

qupfer

Re: When SoftEther drops connection, how to prevent Win10 fr

Post by qupfer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Just a few thoughts...not tested!

I think the easiest way would be to make your "real" network unusable.
You may use the windows firewall and block the nework 0.0.0.0/0 for your physical interface and create a second rule (with higher priority) that allow only the connection to your vpn server.

You may could reach the same behavior with routing entries. Create a static route with high priority (metric) that will route 0.0.0.0/0 via VPN and one route (with higher metric) that will route the traffic to your vpn server through your real device. REMOVE all other routes

A variant of the second idea (with less configuration) could be to configure a wrong default gateway for your normal device and create again a static route that will redirect the traffic to the vpn server through the correct gateway.

DaveJones

Post by DaveJones » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Interesting ideas, thank you guys. I'll play some more with settings and see what works the best.

If anyone has some other ideas, please do share!

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:43 am

Please delete default gateway setting of NIC after connecting VPN.