How to keep local LAN access when connected to VPN?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Atrain123

How to keep local LAN access when connected to VPN?

Post by Atrain123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm pretty new to VPNs and I have essentially the vanilla SoftEther setup to access computers on my home LAN via RDP when I'm away for work.

When I connect the VPN however, I can't access the local computers on the remote network I'm connecting from. I feel like this might be a setting somewhere that I can just "turn on", but I don't know exactly what to search or what I'm looking for.

So my home network is "Home", I'm away at my work's network "Work". I need to RDP to servers that exist on both Home/Work at the same time.

Atrain123

Re: How to keep local LAN access when connected to VPN?

Post by Atrain123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

I finally figured this out for anyone with the similar problem. It's called "Split Tunneling", which is less secure, but I just went to the network adapters (on my local machine), found the VPN adapter, went to properties, networking tab, IPv4 properties, advanced options, and unchecked "Use default gateway on remote network" and I was able to access my local LAN when on the VPN.