Routing of VPN client traffic via Cloud WAN port

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Neil_P01

Routing of VPN client traffic via Cloud WAN port

Post by Neil_P01 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi,

I have a site-to-site SoftEther VPN connection setup between my home and a cloud server. This is because my home internet is through a 4G Router and the provider does not supply a WAN IP, instead I get an IP on their LAN. This works fine for general use but without a WAN address I can't remote in to see my security camera or other devices. The VPN to the cloud server (static WAN address) allows me to connect to any device on my network from a remote location :-)

I had concerns over broadcast packets eating up my bandwidth so I now have a L3 switch at my home end with DHCP and a rule in my home router to instruct it to route any external LAN traffic to the virtual switch.

The issue is my VPN client (external Laptop/Tablet) connected to the cloud server can't access internet addresses. It can assess my internal LAN devices fine via the L3 switch and back using a static route in the DD-WRT router.

I added a default route into the L3 virtual switch (Add: 0.0.0.0 Subnet: 0.0.0.0 Gateway 192.168.1.2 metric 1) but still no client internet access. I was expecting this to work as the static rule in the router should route return traffic back to the switch and therefore the client :-S Any help appreciated.

On a similar thread I've been trying to work out how I could route WAN traffic from my LAN and VPN client over the cloud server WAN address, this could be useful as my 4G ISP blocks stuff which is annoying. I have a TAP setup on the cloud server and have experimented by setting the Gateway applied to clients (VPN_EXT HUB) to the cloud server gateway etc and enabling NAT-T on the cloud server Virtual HUB but no success. I'm not sure how to route the traffic from the 10.8.79.0 LAN to the cloud server gateway 95.123.123.1 :-S

Softether Question.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cedar
Site Admin

Re: Routing of VPN client traffic via Cloud WAN port

Post by cedar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:11 am

Please delete the default gateway setting from the VPN client virtual LAN card, and add a static route to the virtual L3 switch.

Neil_P01

Post by Neil_P01 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:50 am

On the SecureNAT configuration page of the VPN_EXT_HUB I removed the Gateway and DNS pushed to clients and added a static route as follows on the
Edit the static routing table push configuration page:

Static Route (Pushed to client):
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0/10.8.79.2

I haven't added any rules to the L3 Switch as it knows about the 192. and 10. networks directly connected.

It works :-) VPN_Client WAN traffic routes over the clients WAN port with LAN traffic flowing over the VPN connection to my LAN devices, returning according to the DD-WRT router static route.

elheho

Post by elheho » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:06 am

hi Neil_P01 can u provide me some help on l3 i need your help if that possible