Should the "Assigned Dynamic DNS Hostname" change on it's own ?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
GKL1520

Should the "Assigned Dynamic DNS Hostname" change on it's own ?

Post by GKL1520 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Long ago when I first set up the Softether server they had an option to change that hostname to what you wanted followed by .softether.net but I just recently noticed when checking the server manager it changed from what I had it as to "vpn (followed by 9 numbers) then .softether.net"

Is that unusual ?

Should I change it back to what I had it as or just use the one it changed it to or does it matter either way ?

centeredki69

Re: Should the "Assigned Dynamic DNS Hostname" change on it's own ?

Post by centeredki69 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:45 pm

You can use the new default one or choose a new one you prefer. You will NOT be able to put in the old original one because it will tell you it is already taken.
It should not have changed on its own. But a reinstall of the SE server software can cause this I believe. I have had it happen to me so just started using the default one given.

There is a way to save the original config file and add it to a new install but your config file is no longer associated with it anymore. The link below discusses this issue

https://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61448