Missing network device - MacOS

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Udel

Missing network device - MacOS

Post by Udel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:03 am

Hello!

I use the SoftEther client software for MacOS. When I tried to create a virtual device (NICCREATE tun0), I received an error (Error code: 31).
After research I found out SoftEther supports tuntap, which I installed. With tuntap I can create the virtual device and I was able to set up my VPN connection.

The connection is running now (ACCOUNTLIST shows a status "connected"), but when I try to ping the remote gateway, I have no route to the host.
Running ifconfig reveals that there is no tun0 interface registered. The tun0 device exists under /dev/tun0, but that is not enough to route my traffic through the VPN.

What am I missing? Do I need another piece of software as an adapter between the /dev/tun0 device and an actual network device? Was installing tuntap the wrong decision?

THanks for your help!

Udel

Re: Missing network device - MacOS

Post by Udel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 pm

So if anybody else stumbles upon this problem - I was not able to resolve it with the original SoftEther client.

However, SoftEtherGUI is an inofficial extension/modification of the SoftEther MacOS client that configures network devices and firewall rules automatically. Unfortunately it is not Open Source so I cannot understand what they do exactly. With SoftEtherGUI I am able to connect. Unfortunately, their GUI only implements a subset of features, for example no certificate authentication is supported (only password).

What a shame.