Setup VPN Client using native OSX L2TP access

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
john.digrazia

Setup VPN Client using native OSX L2TP access

Post by john.digrazia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:58 am

Hi Support,

I am trying to setup a VPN Client using native OSX L2TP over IPSec access.
The setup instructions ask question that I cannot answer?
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... ient_Setup

Can you answer the following?
How can I find a hostname or IP address of the destination SoftEther VPN Server.
Is the username for the "Account Name” not the L2TP access setup on my MAC the same username I use to access this forum?
Is the password for the L2TP access setup on my MAC the same password I use to access this forum?
Instructions also state: ‘Specify the pre-shared key also on the "Shared Secret" field.’
Where do I find the pre-shared key?

Thanks

MyronSz

Re: Setup VPN Client using native OSX L2TP access

Post by MyronSz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:34 am

I can answer a few.

The SoftEther VPN server has a DDNS client that can be used or you could you could utilise your own choice of DDNS service and client.
you set-up your own usernames and passwords on the VPN server. Has nothing to do with the forum's user and password at all.
You set-up a pre-shared key yourself doe IPSec-PSK. It can be anything you wish. I use a random set of characters. That matters is that the client and the server use the exact same pre-shared key to establish an encrypted IPSec connection. This pre-shared key is a secret within your organisation.

The VPN Hub username and password can be seen as a second level of protection in case the pre-shared key is discovered, but each user on the Virtual Hub can gave different permissions and configurations assigned to them. So, as an example, someone you may grant access may be denied access to certain IP addresses and protocols within your internal network. (Hiding machines from VPN users.)

Hope this is of help to you.

pit_jj72

Post by pit_jj72 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:33 am

Hi,

When using SoftEther on Windows, the client provide a list of servers available in the world and to connect to one of them you only need to select one server in the list and clic connect... It doesn't need any username and password.

Is there a way to list the servers available and connect to them with native L2TP vpn on Mac OS X ?
I try with an IP address from the list of servers in SoftEther but there is no account username or password... ?

Thank you.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:31 am

@pit_jj72

Username: vpn

Password: vpn

preshared key: vpn

https://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_l2tp.aspx