MacOS Catalina problem

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Kovally

MacOS Catalina problem

Post by Kovally » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi, MacOS Catalina does not support SoftEther VPN Server Manager for Mac OS X (I can not start the application).
Is there a solution to this problem?

ozone

Re: MacOS Catalina problem

Post by ozone » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw on the Mikrotik forum that they too had an issue with Catalina, and remembered this message.

Common way to use their gui-tool on macOS was with Wine, but since Catalina it was no longer possible to do so.
(winbox... yes windows only... there's no Mac-tool at MT)
Catalina dropped 32b code support, and running winbox.exe in Wine64 did not work either: The windows executable (winbox.exe) was 32b.

The solution was that the windows .exe needed to be 64 bit as well. So Mikrotik developed a x64 Winbox, and it worked again like they were used to.

Now, Softether already has a native client for Mac, which is nice.
Personally I do not have a Mac, but i'll bet your problem has to do with the coding changes in Catalina as well. Looking at the download link it seems that the current VPNmanager is 32 bit, as it ends with ...macos-x86-32bit.pkg

So basically the same goes for SE-manager as for Winbox, use the 64b windows executable in Wine64, and/or wait for SE to compile a 64b MacOS-manager. (and/or use webif for the time being)

arunaithal

Post by arunaithal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:50 am

Any updates on this? When SoftEther support Catalina ?

wagonmaster

Post by wagonmaster » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:59 am

Is this 64-bit version of winbox.exe generally available?
Were the source code changes checked back in for others to compile to per-chance?
Thank you

ozone wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:16 pm
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw on the Mikrotik forum that they too had an issue with Catalina, and remembered this message.

Common way to use their gui-tool on macOS was with Wine, but since Catalina it was no longer possible to do so.
(winbox... yes windows only... there's no Mac-tool at MT)
Catalina dropped 32b code support, and running winbox.exe in Wine64 did not work either: The windows executable (winbox.exe) was 32b.

The solution was that the windows .exe needed to be 64 bit as well. So Mikrotik developed a x64 Winbox, and it worked again like they were used to.

Now, Softether already has a native client for Mac, which is nice.
Personally I do not have a Mac, but i'll bet your problem has to do with the coding changes in Catalina as well. Looking at the download link it seems that the current VPNmanager is 32 bit, as it ends with ...macos-x86-32bit.pkg

So basically the same goes for SE-manager as for Winbox, use the 64b windows executable in Wine64, and/or wait for SE to compile a 64b MacOS-manager. (and/or use webif for the time being)

ozone

Post by ozone » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Is this 64-bit version of winbox.exe generally available?
Yes, it's at their download site: https://mikrotik.com/download at the download link https://mt.lv/winbox64

Were the source code changes checked back in for others to compile to per-chance?
I have no idea about that... I just observed the issue unfold at their forum, and saw the solution provided.
Just wanted to share their solution here.
Personally, not a mac-user. Sorry.