Can't RDP to Azure

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
xodc

Can't RDP to Azure

Post by xodc » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm hosting my own SoftEther VPN server on Azure.

However, today I'm having trouble accessing my VM (hosted in East Asia, HK) after obtaining a new public IP address. I'm in mainland China (and thus behind the Great Firewall - not sure if this is relevant). I was able to RDP to it fine previously. But after getting the new public IP, there have been connection problems.

I still receive the prompt asking me if I want to connect given the invalid certificate. I say YES. And then RDP gives me the 0x204 error.

However, if I first use a HK VPN and then try to RDP to my VM it connects fine.I have already tried obtaining a new IP address from my home ISP provider (in case Azure was blacklisting my IP for some reason). But this didn't help.

In terms of SoftEther, I'm running the Windows versions of the client and server software, and when I try to connect, I get Error Code 131. Previously (before today), I was able to do this just fine

So my question is: is there any reason to think that Azure is preventing all IPs originating from China to connect o my VM? And if so, how can I stop this? As I said, I was able to use it fine previously

sky59

Re: Can't RDP to Azure

Post by sky59 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 am

First to recapitulate :
You have server and client computers in china both behind gfw.
You use seftether cloud service Azurre.
If yes:
Then your real server is in Japan on university Tsukuba and they have public ip.
Your server in china is only mimicking to be a server but it behaves in reality like client = it does not need public ip.
Because your china computers server and client connect to real server on Azurre cloud. So all your traffic goes over Azurre so it is very slow but it works. I tested it myself in this way.
Is this your case? Why you need ip public address? (you do not need it while using Azurre)

sky59

Re: Can't RDP to Azure

Post by sky59 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 am

First to recapitulate :
You have server and client computers in china both behind gfw.
You use seftether cloud service Azurre.
If yes:
Then your real server is in Japan on university Tsukuba and they have public ip.
Your server in china is only mimicking to be a server but it behaves in reality like client = it does not need public ip.
Because your china computers server and client connect to real server on Azurre cloud. So all your traffic goes over Azurre so it is very slow but it works. I tested it myself in this way.
Is this your case? Why you need ip public address? (you do not need it while using Azurre)