can't install SoftEther VPN client

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
javi

can't install SoftEther VPN client

Post by javi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Well, I can't install, because there is not button "next" in agreement window after reading it. Only "cancel" button.
So I just can't continue installation process.

Now I have 4.20 9608. It works fine but I thought it's too old.
So I try to update it. I tried 29,30,31 - it doesn't matter. No way. There is not button "next" in each of them.
- I tried to update my version, not uninstalling it.
- I tried to uninstall my version first (with removing adapter and drivers), before installing newer version. It doesn't matter. The same result.

No way. So, what should I do to solve this problem?
Any help?

Last edited by javi on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

javi

Re: can't install SoftEther VPN client

Post by javi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 am

I have never met such installer behavior. And I'm a little shocked.
I don’t even understand what kind of quest is required from me to get the button "next".

Is this possible to get answer from developers or well-knowing people in here? Or this place is about nothing?
Excuse for troubling. I hope for help.

Thank you.

sky59

Post by sky59 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Try english windows

javi

Post by javi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:28 pm

I have no such possibility. But even if I had, how could it help?
I mean previous version was installed at the same OS without any problems. Though it was a few years ago.

Anyway, the installer understands the OS language. And fulfills its work up to the 3rd step. But at the 3rd step there is a stuck.

javi

Post by javi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:24 pm

I understand that my problem may seem funny to someone. Or maybe someone thinks this is a hoax. But this is nor joke, neither hoax.
It is clear that this whole problem arose because of how the installer was assembled.
Maybe this is some kind of rare problem, caused by API or fonts or something else, used in installator assembling.
Only developers can help solve this problem. Only developers can make it clear.
Listen, guys, developers, are you really not interested in what exactly happens in this case of mine?..
Is there at all possibility to get help from developers on the forum here?

rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Did you actually READ the agreement?

Rich

javi

Post by javi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 pm

rwebb616 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Rich
Yes, What do you mean? Did I miss something important?
What did I miss?
Copyright (c) all contributors on SoftEther VPN project in GitHub.
Copyright (c) Daiyuu Nobori, SoftEther Project at University of Tsukuba, and SoftEther Corporation.

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.

DISCLAIMER
==========

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

THIS SOFTWARE IS DEVELOPED IN JAPAN, AND DISTRIBUTED FROM JAPAN, UNDER JAPANESE LAWS. YOU MUST AGREE IN ADVANCE TO USE, COPY, MODIFY, MERGE, PUBLISH, DISTRIBUTE, SUBLICENSE, AND/OR SELL COPIES OF THIS SOFTWARE, THAT ANY JURIDICAL DISPUTES WHICH ARE CONCERNED TO THIS SOFTWARE OR ITS CONTENTS, AGAINST US (SOFTETHER PROJECT, SOFTETHER CORPORATION, DAIYUU NOBORI OR OTHER SUPPLIERS), OR ANY JURIDICAL DISPUTES AGAINST US WHICH ARE CAUSED BY ANY KIND OF USING, COPYING, MODIFYING, MERGING, PUBLISHING, DISTRIBUTING, SUBLICENSING, AND/OR SELLING COPIES OF THIS SOFTWARE SHALL BE REGARDED AS BE CONSTRUED AND CONTROLLED BY JAPANESE LAWS, AND YOU MUST FURTHER CONSENT TO EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THE COURTS SITTING IN TOKYO, JAPAN. YOU MUST WAIVE ALL DEFENSES OF LACK OF PERSONAL JURISDICTION AND FORUM NON CONVENIENS. PROCESS MAY BE SERVED ON EITHER PARTY IN THE MANNER AUTHORIZED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR COURT RULE.

USE ONLY IN JAPAN. DO NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY UNLESS YOU HAVE A CONFIRMATION THAT THIS SOFTWARE DOES NOT VIOLATE ANY CRIMINAL LAWS OR CIVIL RIGHTS IN THAT PARTICULAR COUNTRY. USING THIS SOFTWARE IN OTHER COUNTRIES IS COMPLETELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE SOFTETHER VPN PROJECT HAS DEVELOPED AND DISTRIBUTED THIS SOFTWARE TO COMPLY ONLY WITH THE JAPANESE LAWS AND EXISTING CIVIL RIGHTS INCLUDING PATENTS WHICH ARE SUBJECTS APPLY IN JAPAN. OTHER COUNTRIES' LAWS OR CIVIL RIGHTS ARE NONE OF OUR CONCERNS NOR RESPONSIBILITIES. WE HAVE NEVER INVESTIGATED ANY CRIMINAL REGULATIONS, CIVIL LAWS OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS INCLUDING PATENTS IN ANY OF OTHER 200+ COUNTRIES AND TERRITORIES. BY NATURE, THERE ARE 200+ REGIONS IN THE WORLD, WITH DIFFERENT LAWS. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO VERIFY EVERY COUNTRIES' LAWS, REGULATIONS AND CIVIL RIGHTS TO MAKE THE SOFTWARE COMPLY WITH ALL COUNTRIES' LAWS BY THE PROJECT. EVEN IF YOU WILL BE SUED BY A PRIVATE ENTITY OR BE DAMAGED BY A PUBLIC SERVANT IN YOUR COUNTRY, THE DEVELOPERS OF THIS SOFTWARE WILL NEVER BE LIABLE TO RECOVER OR COMPENSATE SUCH DAMAGES, CRIMINAL OR CIVIL
RESPONSIBILITIES. NOTE THAT THIS LINE IS NOT LICENSE RESTRICTION BUT JUST A STATEMENT FOR WARNING AND DISCLAIMER.

READ AND UNDERSTAND THE 'src/WARNING.TXT' FILE BEFORE USING THIS SOFTWARE. SOME SOFTWARE PROGRAMS FROM THIRD PARTIES ARE INCLUDED ON THIS SOFTWARE WITH LICENSE CONDITIONS WHICH ARE DESCRIBED ON THE 'src/THIRD_PARTY.TXT' FILE.

javi

Post by javi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 am

rwebb616 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Rich
All that is in the agreement is about use, not about installation. Thre is not a single word about installation.
I just can not install. Do you understand?

Btw, i don't violate any condition in Agreement anyway.

I already have an old version, it works. I have no problem with it .
I'm just trying to update the version of a program.

ethanolson

Post by ethanolson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 am

You can manually run the steps that the installer executes.
1. close down the client manager (exit it from the tray), and stop the SoftEther VPN Client service
2. run the installer and leave it running on the screen you can't get past, and now navigate to %TEMP%\ and find the most recently created two folders called VPN_xxxx
3. Copy those folders somewhere like your Desktop
4. Look into them. One will have all the program files. Copy all the files to "C:\Program Files\SoftEther VPN Client" or wherever your current installation resides.
5. start the service
6a. from a command prompt, navigate to the install folder (cd /d "C:\Program Files\SoftEther VPN Client") and run vpncmd localhost
6b. choose option 2 to manage the client
6c. execute this command: NicUpgrade VPN
6d. now type: exit
7. startup the client manager and enjoy

javi

Post by javi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 am

E:\Prog. Files\Softether\SoftEther VPN Client>vpncmd localhost
vpncmd command - SoftEther VPN Command Line Management Utility
SoftEther VPN Command Line Management Utility (vpncmd command)
Version 4.31 Build 9727 (English)
Compiled 2019/11/18 11:14:51 by buildsan at crosswin
Copyright (c) SoftEther VPN Project. All Rights Reserved.

By using vpncmd program, the following can be achieved.

1. Management of VPN Server or VPN Bridge
2. Management of VPN Client
3. Use of VPN Tools (certificate creation and Network Traffic Speed Test Tool)

Select 1, 2 or 3: 2

Connected to VPN Client "localhost".

VPN Client>NicUpgrade VPN
NicUpgrade command - Upgrade Virtual Network Adapter Device Driver
Error occurred. (Error code: 31)
Installation of the Virtual Network Adapter device driver failed.
VPN Client>
something is wrong? :(

javi

Post by javi » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:56 am

ethanolson,

Wow! You're a great man!!! :)
I typed "exit"at the end. Then I pressed "enter".
Then I launched SoftEther VPN Client . Everything worked! But when opening the list of servers, the program wrote that I have a low version of SoftEther VPN Gate Client Plugin.
I went to the link https://www.vpngate.net/en/download.aspx and downloaded the .zip. I unpacked the archive and just copied all the files with "Gate" in their names into SoftEther VPN Client folder.

And everything works now. And works noticeably faster!

Now I have the latest version, and you're just a great man. A lot of pluses to you into your karma! All the best to you, good dude ethanolson !! :)

ps. but at step "6c. execute this command: NicUpgrade VPN" it was written:

"VPN Client>NicUpgrade VPN
NicUpgrade command - Upgrade Virtual Network Adapter Device Driver
Error occurred. (Error code: 31)
Installation of the Virtual Network Adapter device driver failed."

And I am still thinking what does this mean for good stable work of the program?

And one more thing. The system still thinks I have a version 4.20.9608. But this is all clear why :)

But this does not negate the fact that you are a cool dude :)! Thanks for your help! (y)

rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:41 am

All that is in the agreement is about use, not about installation. Thre is not a single word about installation.
The reason the button is dimmed is because you have to scroll the bar of the agreement all the way to the bottom of the window before it will allow you to continue.

Rich

javi

Post by javi » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:48 pm

rwebb616 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:41 am
The reason the button is dimmed is because you have to scroll the bar of the agreement all the way to the bottom of the window before it will allow you to continue.

Rich
Listen, as always, the reason is that you, my virtual interlocutor, are not a reader, but a writer.
You considered it unnecessary not only to read my first comment, but it was even difficult for you to look at the screenshots.
The button is not dimmed. It isn't in there at all in my case! No button "next".

Given your quick wits, I hasten to inform you that of course the agreement was scrolled all the way to the bottom of the window.

Anyway, the problem is solved Thanks to ethanolson).
Have a nice day !