How do I set up a simple VPN server for a AWS VPC and all its subnets?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
TheStapler

How do I set up a simple VPN server for a AWS VPC and all its subnets?

Post by TheStapler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 am

I'm part of a small team of developers who need access to servers in private subnets in an Amazon VPC. So far, I've got a VPN Server set up in one of the public subnets and I can connect to it. But when I try to reach any of the private IPs in the VPC, the connection attempt times out.

I've got OpenVPN AS running on another EC2 instance, and that's working for me and without much configuration. I was hoping to use SoftEther instead because it promises better results and for no cost, but I'm feeling in over my head with this.

Looking at your diagrams, I think the VPC with multiple subnets is conceptually similar to having LANs in different places. I see that Bridges can be used to connect a VPN Server in one place to a network in another place. Would I have to stand up a Bridge in every other subnet in my VPC?

Thanks!

marat108

Re: How do I set up a simple VPN server for a AWS VPC and all its subnets?

Post by marat108 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm

using SoftEther instead is a better idea

ye

TheStapler

Re: How do I set up a simple VPN server for a AWS VPC and all its subnets?

Post by TheStapler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 pm

@marat108 that seems to be the case but i'm not a networking expert and not sure how to make it work with everything in the VPC. i believe i've got SecureNAT working with Virtual DHCP, since i'm able to get an IP. but not sure what to do next.