Local bridge with access to Mac server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dansmith

Local bridge with access to Mac server

Post by dansmith » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:57 am

I'm running SoftEther 4.29 as a standalone server on an iMac running macOS 10.15.2. My goal is to allow remote access to my home network via L2TP/IPSec.

I've successfully gotten L2TP/IPSec, local bridging, DHCP, and router port forwarding working. Where I'm stuck now is that, while this connection works for most services on the LAN, it won't allow clients to access services on the iMac (ssh, for example).

This problem is described here:

https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... r_Mac_OS_X

My interpretation of these instructions is that I need to add a second physical ethernet port to my iMac, and connect it to the LAN. Even if I had the hardware to do so (including an extra jack in the wall), this would be overkill for occasional single-user remote access.

Is there something straightforward I can do to enable VPN clients to access services on the server iMac without my needing dedicated hardware?

dansmith

Re: Local bridge with access to Mac server

Post by dansmith » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Bump. Any advice? I'm surprised that there's not an obvious answer, since this seems like a really common use case (want to be able to virtually join my home network while on the road, don't have dedicated hardware).