Connects but cant access anything

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
r21campos

Connects but cant access anything

Post by r21campos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Hello, I have installed the current version of Softether Server and respectively the softether client on the remote pc side. I can connect to the server but cant access anything on the other side. Cant even ping. When I do an ipconfig on the client side it doesn't show any ip on the vpn adapter. Im not sure what im missing. There is a dhcp server on the other end and when the client connects there is a message that says getting dhcp ip and its sits there for a bit. It doesn't error out so I assumed it was getting one. But I don't think it is...
Are there some troubleshooting steps? or is there somewhen I can enter in an ip? just to try it? any help would be appreciated thank you so much
Bob

centeredki69

Re: Connects but cant access anything

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:39 pm

If it does not show that it received an ip address and display one in the pop up before it disappears it did not receive one from any DHCP server. You need to enable either "local Bridge" or "SecureNAt "on the SE-server. One or the other NOT both on the same Virtual HUB. "Local Bridge" connects the Virtual HUB to the Same local Physical network the SE-server is on. clients will get IP from the same DHCP server the SE- Host gets. "SecureNAT" creates a kinda Virtual Router that sit behind the Physical Local Network. Kinda Like being double nated. Clients will get ip address from the "SecureNAT" server which is on by default.

r21campos

Post by r21campos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! when I attempt to enable local bridge it wants a separate/Spare network adapter which I don't have. I suppose then I will need to enable securenat. It does give me a message allowing me to disable secure nat. But I guess ill need it because there is no other on that subnet its created... Will I have any issues accessing the devices on my original network now because of double nat?
thank you so much for your help!!!
bob

r21campos

Post by r21campos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:02 pm

also I assume I also need to do a static route... the new network it created is 192.168.30.x so would my static route be 192.168.30.0/255.255.255.0/192.168.0.1 if my gateway/router is that 192.168.0.0.1 address?

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:28 pm

If you are using a wired NIC a separate NIC is suggested but not required. If you complete the local bridge setup it should function. If you use the SecureNAT you can put in the static route, all though I find that any device upstream of the Securenat network (192.168.0.0/24 in your case) is visible to the securenat network without routes. However the local upstream network will not be able to get to the SecureNAt network.

r21campos

Post by r21campos » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Thank you so very much for your help. Setting up securenat without the static route worked great! Much appreciated! Cheers