preventing dns leaks

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
whiggs

preventing dns leaks

Post by whiggs » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:00 am

I have noticed that vpn connections using the softether vpn client manager to the softether vpn server are experiencing dns leaks. These are the dns servers with no vpn connection:
And these are the dns servers when connected to the softether vpn server using the softether vpn client manager:

I have tried several different configurations to prevent the dns leaks from occurring, but the only method I have been able to get to do this is by including the "block-outside-dns" configuration In the openvpn config file that the softether vpn server manager generates. However, I wanted to see if there was a way to either configure the softether vpn client manager to route all traffic, like dns, through the vpn tunnel, or configure the softether vpn server to force all devices which connect to it to route all their traffic, including dns requests, through the vpn server in order to prevent the dns leaks.

centeredki69

Re: preventing dns leaks

Post by centeredki69 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:33 am

I found editing the group policies "turn off mulit- home name resolution' seems to resolve the issue on Windows 10 PCs. see link near bottom
https://www.vpnusers.com/viewtopic.php? ... ome#p86589