Is it correct, that VPNAzure never routes any data traffic?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
genesys

Is it correct, that VPNAzure never routes any data traffic?

Post by genesys » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:08 am

Can someone confirm that VPNAzure is only involved in opening the VPN tunnel, but it never routes/relays any actual traffic?

//edit:
After reading some more, I believe this is not the case. The VPNAzure page has this entry in its FAQ:

Code: Select all

Frequently Asked Questions
Any method to improve the speed dramatically?
Yes. Install SoftEther VPN Client software on the home PC (client-side PC) instead of using MS-SSTP VPN built-in client.

A pair of SoftEther VPN Client and SoftEther VPN Server will try to make a fast UDP-based VPN link between them, even if both or any parties are behind the NAT or firewall. In order to make a fast UDP-based VPN link, SoftEther VPN exploits the UDP Hole Punching (NAT-Traversal) technique.

If your SSTP-VPN is very slow, install SoftEther VPN Client in the client-side PC. It will surprise you at high-throughput and low-latency.
So I guess this means that if UDP Hole punching is not successful, it will actually reroute all VPN traffic (becomming the bottleneck).

Can anyone confirm?

OliverTejada

Re: Is it correct, that VPNAzure never routes any data traffic?

Post by OliverTejada » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Do a latency check to any LAN host when not using VPNAzure, then do the same, but with VPNAZure enabled.
In theory, response times should be way lower when not relaying traffic on a server (connecting directly).

genesys

Post by genesys » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:38 pm

direct connections I can't establish, so I can't compare. But I have about 700-900ms with VPNAzure, which seems pretty huge

sky59

Post by sky59 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:35 pm

It routes all data

If you do not have public ip it ca never work direct between clients

OliverTejada

Post by OliverTejada » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:17 pm

genesys wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:38 pm
direct connections I can't establish, so I can't compare. But I have about 700-900ms with VPNAzure, which seems pretty huge
If you can't directly connect, then yes, everything is being relayed on the cloud, that's why you have that high latency.