audio problems

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
thederp12345

audio problems

Post by thederp12345 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:36 pm

so installed this and after installing the drivers, the audio in my device goes up and down without adujsting it and also crackles and pops does anyonw know why? my computer is the Inspiron 3593

realBluestar

Re: audio problems

Post by realBluestar » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:31 am

Actually this is a quite big issue of the SoftEther VPN, I wonder is there any way to install the application without installing its audio-related drivers? (even if theres no sound from the remote part, is not an issue for me)

The thing is, while you are listening to music through external audio interface (USB sound cards, like the professional Focusrite Scarlett and PreSonus Revelator), they are keep "popping" with high-pitched pops, once in a while, like every minute or so, sometimes takes more than a minute. Completely ruining the music listening experience, I am also thinking of a way to get rid of the application on my PC but I need it for work.

Dear SoftEther devs, is there any way the audio-related stuffs can be disabled while installing, or any fix would be possible?

I've already tried everything on my side, even reinstalling the complete OS: now i am on Windows 11 (before its Win10), the sound was completely nice now UNTIL i have installed the SoftEther VPN for work - after that, it started to pop just like before...

solo

Post by solo » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:48 am

Hold on, this is getting surreal, let me take a breath... OK... now...
realBluestar wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:31 am
the professional Focusrite Scarlett and PreSonus Revelator), they are keep "popping" with high-pitched pops, once in a while, like every minute or so...
Gee, your buddies at head-fi forum have already diagnosed it.

No, SoftEther VPN does not install any "audio-related drivers" nor impacts on your DAC's "soundstage" or such.

realBluestar

Post by realBluestar » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:39 am

So what is the reason that right now in the time of writing this post, no such issues exists after uninstalling the SoftEther VPN completely and doing a restart?

After I'm reinstalling it, the high-pitched pop sounds are coming back and happening in the middle of the music at the most random times.
Also, when you are installing the SoftEther, the sound goes off for a few seconds, after its finishing driver installment its coming back. Clearly something of its drivers are affecting most of the external audio interfaces.

Right now I changed my Scarlett to a PreSonus, it was superb clear until the point I have installed the VPN.

Edit: if you would like, I can record a video as well that shows how the sound is clear before, and after installing the SoftEther you can hear the pops, its actually quite noticable and bothering - not just audiophiles but to anyone as well.

Edit 2: for the sake of testing, after uninstalling it right now I'm listening to acoustic recordings/piano songs for about ~30 minutes now, and not a single "pop" has occured until now. Before, its like every 1-1.5 minute, one to three high "pops", and no, its not in the audio source, because if you are reverting back to the point where you have heard the pop, there is no more pop anymore, but its going to occur at a different time & place of the song, or in another one.

solo

Post by solo » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:52 pm

Is it a laptop or desktop PC?
If you are connecting to the internet via WiFi switch to LAN port, or vice versa.

realBluestar

Post by realBluestar » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:44 pm

Right now I'm using a desktop PC with the latest Win11 (22H2, build 22621) and SoftEther stable 4.38b9760. Before I was using Windows 10 (changed the OS yesterday just to make sure nothing else is causing the problem, but on my current fresh Win11 the problem did not occur up until the point that I have installed the SoftEther back again).

On the laptop it was also reproducable, Win 11 latest version there.

LAN connection through a Cat6e cable, has a stable 920 Mbps/350 Mbps speed.

solo

Post by solo » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:03 pm

• depending on gen, there are USB type 2, 3 or 4 ports there - try out all of them
  • switch power management profile to "high performance"
  • in advanced power management disable "USB selective suspend"
  • in advanced properties of the net adapter, disable any power saving options (diff names like "selective suspend", "suspend", "green energy", "power save", etc.)