Cannot Create New Virtual Network Adapter on Windows 10

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
mxcrowe

Cannot Create New Virtual Network Adapter on Windows 10

Post by mxcrowe » Thu May 14, 2020 4:46 am

I just installed Windows 10 on a new machine - all updates applied. Installation of the SoftEther VPN Client appears to have run normally, but when I try to create a Virtual Network Adapter the program becomes unresponsive. After waiting quite some time and a couple of reboots, a virtual adapter shows up in the network connections window; *however*, when I connect to a VPN using the SoftEther Client by choosing one of the Public VPN Relay Servers, the system appears to make the connection, the virtual adapter becomes active, but the network traffic *is not* going through the remote server. If I check my IP address on the vpngate.net homepage, it's still my normal, local IP, not the IP address in Japan.

Can anyone tell me how to get Windows 10 to properly create a virtual network adapter that works correctly?

Thank you

mxcrowe

Re: Cannot Create New Virtual Network Adapter on Windows 10

Post by mxcrowe » Thu May 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Just a brief update: I removed the VNA that was not working and tried to create a new one. After several minutes, SoftEther returns the message: "Installation of the virtual network adapter failed."

Also, I forgot to mention I am using: vpngate-client-2020.05.14-build-9745.147168

Thank you

Silv$hLulu

Post by Silv$hLulu » Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 pm

I am having the same problem. I am thinking about reinstalling it and start over fresh to see if they help me as well.

mxcrowe

Post by mxcrowe » Sat May 16, 2020 12:54 am

Yeah, I've never seen this problem on Win7. I will test the same build on a different Win10 platform and see what happens. Have not gotten around to it yet. Otherwise, hopefully the next build of the VPN Client fixes things. Something is clearly not right.

mxcrowe

Post by mxcrowe » Sun May 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Update: I went through the same install process with the same installer on a notebook computer, also running Win10, which is on the same network. In this case, the Virtual Network Adapter was created normally and quickly. A quick test of the SoftEther Client showed it to be working correctly.

Back to the new desktop system, I uninstalled everything, rebooted, and reinstalled the SoftEther Client. Everything goes smoothly to this point. But when I try to create a Virtual Network Adapter, the popup box runs all the way to the end, then closes; SoftEther Client goes unresponsive with the circling Win10 icon and stays that way for several minutes. After some time, a dialog box opens saying that the creation of the Virtual Network Adapter has failed.

Anybody else seen this problem? Here's my system config:

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max Mainboard (latest BIOS)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
G.SKILL Flare X (2 x 8GB) DDR4 (PC4 25600) 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Boot Drive)
GIGABYTE Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G (Rev 2)
Windows 10 (all updates)