Virtual Network Adapter for VPN Server

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
KaledDavros

Virtual Network Adapter for VPN Server

Post by KaledDavros » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:06 pm

hi

So I need some help with my set up. When I connect to the VPN server from the client, it connects ok and I receive an IP address from the Virtual DHCP. I can ping the servers own virtual address (192.168.30.1) just fine, but my problem is, there is no virtual adapter installed on the Softether server. So I cannot use my firewall to manage the security on the connection.

I have seen a post that talks about installing the TAP adapter using the Softether client version. So I installed that and created the adapter. In the server manager, under bridging, the virtual adapter does not appear.

What I really need is to be able to assign a Virtual IP address to a TAP adapter so that I can bind the address to MySQL, making MySQL only accessible on the virtual adapter. Once the adapter is 'connected' it will appear in Windows as a network which I can use with my firewall software.

It occurred to me that maybe I needed to use the Softether client to connect to the server via localhost in order to establish the network. When I tried this, my remote connection to the VPN server kicked me out and I had to restart the PC before I could gain access again. I don't want the VPN network to carry internet traffic to the VPN clients, only to be able to connect to MySQL.

How can I achieve this? The post I saw before did not specify how to set this up.

Thanks

Afakename

Re: Virtual Network Adapter for VPN Server

Post by Afakename » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Can you configure static IP for the client? Bind MySQL to the static IP.