run a script after vpn connection

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
oncall

run a script after vpn connection

Post by oncall » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:55 pm

Hello,

I am a long time user of SoftEther. I would like to make 2 feature requests:
1) Run a login script after the VPN connection is established. I use like to be able to have scripts run for users because my laptops are not members of the domain so they can't process Group Policy or login scripts natively. Having searched the forum I know that this functionality is not implemented currently. The workaround is to put a script on the laptop to create the connection and then run commands. I have the VPN client installed on laptops and set to auto connect so the user doesn't have to do anything to establish the connection. Having the user double click on a script to connect would be a step backwards.

2) Establish the VPN connection BEFORE the user can login. This would allow my laptops to be members of my domain and they would be able to login using their domain credentials, process Group Policy and login scripts. I use SSL certificate authentication so it should be possible to do this, but the SoftEther VPN client doesn't run until AFTER the user has logged on.

Thank you for reading this.

nobody12

Re: run a script after vpn connection

Post by nobody12 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:04 pm

I have no idea regarding your wish to run a script, maybe use the windows scheduler, wher you can run a task triggered by change of network connectivity?
But the other one:
Select a VPN profile as "Set as startup connection".

oncall

Post by oncall » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. The VPN profile is already "Set as startup connection". However that won't work to let the user login to the domain as the VPN client has not started yet. It might work if these tablets had an Ethernet port and the VPN client started as a service, but I have to use WiFi on these tablets as there is no Ethernet port and they have to portable anyway.

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm

I just tested a setup like this.
Dell Brand notebook, connected to wifi, set connection to startup. I could login after a restart with a newly created AD user.
Maybe: only use windows for managing the Wifi adapter, especially the intel management tool will stop the machine from connecting automatically after a boot.