Using SoftEther to secure internet traffic on public wifi

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
technodude

Using SoftEther to secure internet traffic on public wifi

Post by technodude » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:39 pm

Hi all

Almost all of my systems now sit on the cloud and are accessed via the internet however, if a user is accessing a system over insecure WiFi there is obviously a chance that traffic could be intercepted and systems potentially compromised as a result. We work overseas in developing countries a lot.

What I want to do is host a server on Azure running SoftEther. Have authentication via AzureAD (SAML) but have no access to any internal subnets.

I want to route all inbound client VPN traffic straight back out to the internet (Full tunnel) knowing that the connection from their device to SoftEther is secure and encrypted.

Might sound like an odd request but, I work for a nonprofit and manage around 500 users. I could sign us up to NordVPN but it would be a lot cheaper to just pay the hosting costs for a single Azure instance. Our bandwidth requirements are low and it is unlikely that we would ever have more than 20 concurrent connections.

Is the above scenario possible?

Many thanks in advance.

solo

Re: Using SoftEther to secure internet traffic on public wifi

Post by solo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:14 am

You could use Virtual NAT and in your firewall restrict the virtual subnet to access only the default gateway on internal subnet.