Its in wikipedia: "SoftEther server currently binds to ALL IP addresses on the server. "

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
8vtwo

Its in wikipedia: "SoftEther server currently binds to ALL IP addresses on the server. "

Post by 8vtwo » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm

Why would you have a feature that can disguise traffic as SSL and then prevent it from being used alongside other SSL sites?

solo

Re: Its in wikipedia: "SoftEther server currently binds to ALL IP addresses on the server. "

Post by solo » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:59 pm

That statement is incorrect. SE by default binds to 4 ports, not IP addresses, and they can be deleted or changed - https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... ener_Ports

The SSL port is used to penetrate firewalls. You need to decide on your priorities; hosting some SSL site or allow unrestricted SE traffic - https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... by_SSL-VPN

flameboy

Re: Its in wikipedia: "SoftEther server currently binds to ALL IP addresses on the server. "

Post by flameboy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:28 pm

It's not incorrect. It binds to 0.0.0.0 which is ALL IPs on the adapter.
It cannot be used on a server with other running SSL websites.

The whole point of the server would be making it blend in with other SSL traffic. So now you have 1 IP address on 1 server taking traffic on 443 with NO OTHER WEBSITES AROUND IT. Real clever. Real smart. Good thinking guys. Seriously? How many other bone headed mistakes do you think they made? ALL servers allow you choose which IP to bind to. Except this one.

solo

Post by solo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:50 am

This is an interesting observation. It seems to be a known and ongoing issue for several years and may not be fixed any time soon.

flameboy

Post by flameboy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:14 pm

Then nobody will use it.

Imagine if OpenVPN or any other server decided to use ALL IPS on a server.

It would never go anywhere. SoftEther is dead in the water until that changes, just watch. Nobody likes a disrespectful company who thinks they own your entire machine.

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:05 pm

I use it and my name is nobody. So you are correct, but I guess there are others which also use it with success who use a different name.
But well, I must admit, this is an unusual behaviour. However I never noticed it because all my server installations run on a dedicated VM for Softether, so I never encountered a problem.

Dont know if that helps, but have you tried a workaround like starting a process which will bind to all ports used by softether on all IPs but one? Then start SE.