Connect to IPs of devices on VPN's network

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
ctheodore

Connect to IPs of devices on VPN's network

Post by ctheodore » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,
I want to connect to my VPN in order to connect remotely to devices on the VPN's local network. My client is a computer using IPSec over L2tp connection and when I log in from a different wifi network, I am able to connect to the VPN itself (I have port forwarding for the VPN only set up already) but I am not able to access devices or local IPs from same network that the VPN is on. I am formatting these IPs as if I was on the local network (ie 192.168.68.x) since the request should process as if it is from the VPN server inside that same network. Is that the correct format?

Or do I need a local bridge? I set one up on my vpn's default hub and am still having this same issue even though its status is "operating". Is it possible that my user or hub is not set up properly? I have tried looking through the documentation but there is a lot of it and I'm not clear on what I need to do to fix this and make this work. I need some help to figure out what I am missing.

Thank you!

eddiewu

Re: Connect to IPs of devices on VPN's network

Post by eddiewu » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Before asking for help, I suggest you describe in detail your environment and configuration. We don't even know what OS are you using, what version is you on, how you build up the server, how your networks connect with each other. How do you think people can help you out with these descriptive words?

ctheodore

Post by ctheodore » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Sure, let me set up a document. I was basing my setup from this documentation and assumed since the documentation was mostly platform agnostic it would not require a lot of specific info to describe the setup. In 10 minutes I can have more info once I get it together

ctheodore

Post by ctheodore » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:47 pm

More info on my setup - I am running softether on a debian linux server in docker using siomiz/softethervpn image, I ran about command in vpncmd and saw version 4.38 Build 9760 (English). My client is a macos laptop using l2tp ipsec as listed in the documentation link I posted above. I am able to connect to the my VPN and then the general internet from a different network than the VPN. Hopefully this screenshot helps describe the current setup. Let me know if any other info is missing and would help. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 10.43.53 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eddiewu

Post by eddiewu » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Provide their IP addresses. I don’t know how many subnets you have and how they route. And what do you mean by a different network ? Which one? What address? How does it connect to the server?

ctheodore

Post by ctheodore » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:19 pm

I mean a different network as in being on a friend's wifi, or at a coffeeshop, or at work. There is no exact remote network that I want to connect from, I would like to be able to use the vpn client in my laptop to connect back to my home network with the media server from any other network.
And I just have one subnet on the home network where the VPN is, and I want to connect to local IP of 192.168.68.50 which I have static reserved by the router.

ctheodore

Post by ctheodore » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Realized I forgot to include the URL of the page I was basing my info from - here it is https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... VPN_to_LAN

eddiewu

Post by eddiewu » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:46 am

Are you using securenat or local bridge? Can you access the media server from the docker? Is it a physical server?