Is L2TP over IPSec still supported?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
sepo

Is L2TP over IPSec still supported?

Post by sepo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:25 pm

I setup the server with L2TP/IPSec configuration enabled. However, I cannot connect to VPN with L2TP over IPSec on either a mac or windows machine. Error message: 'The L2TP-VPN server did not respond...'.

Ports 500, 4500, 1701 are open, and reachable with netcat. I am not behind a NAT - I am trying to connect from a client within the Ethernet segment that the server is running on, and have turned off firewalls for sanity check. Netcat commands below (note that the IP address is redacted):

Code: Select all

nc -uvw5 host 1701
Connection to host port 1701 [udp/l2f] succeeded!

nc -uvw5 host 4500
Connection to host port 4500 [udp/ipsec-msft] succeeded!

nc -uvw5 host 500
Connection to host port 500 [udp/isakmp] succeeded!
Some additional context: I am able to connect using the SoftEther protocol from a windows machine. I'm also having trouble finding a supported TAP driver for use with SoftEther protocol on macos.

Anyone have any ideas?

eddiewu

Re: Is L2TP over IPSec still supported?

Post by eddiewu » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:10 pm

You can’t nc on a udp port to verify it’s open. It’s meaningless.
Of course l2tp still works.

sepo

Post by sepo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Thanks for the reply eddie. See the netcat manual: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E86824_01/ht ... cat-1.html

man nc
DESCRIPTION
     The nc (or netcat) utility is used for just about anything under the sun involving TCP or UDP.  It can open TCP
     connections, send UDP packets, listen on arbitrary TCP and UDP ports, do port scanning, and deal with both IPv4 and IPv6.
     Unlike telnet(1), nc scripts nicely, and separates error messages onto standard error instead of sending them to standard
     output, as telnet(1) does with some.
Any one else run into this issue with Softether on Mac OS?

Radiofreak1041

Post by Radiofreak1041 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:47 pm

Which type of authentication do you use on your Windows machine to connect to the VPN? And what type of authentication did you configure in SoftEther?