Direct SSH connection to VPN server device

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Radiofreak1041

Direct SSH connection to VPN server device

Post by Radiofreak1041 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:16 pm

Hi,

On my Raspberry Pi 3B+ I installed SoftEther VPN. Everything works fine, but I'm not able to connect from my home network directly to the Raspberry Pi running SoftEther.
I am able to connect my home PC to the network through the VPN, then use SSH or RDP to connect to PC1 in the external network, and then use that PC to approach the Raspberry Pi. This is quite a cumbersome way to deal with this problem.
Is it possible to configure SoftEther in such a way that the server is approachable by VPN-connected devices?

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

solo

Re: Direct SSH connection to VPN server device

Post by solo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:33 pm

Known problem...
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... in_the_VPN.

11.1.2 I am unable to communicate with the IP address of the Virtual Network Adapter used for local bridging from within the VPN.

If you are using Linux or Solaris, you can communicate within the Virtual Hub (VPN) from the network adapter connected to by the local bridge to the LAN, but you can not communicate to the network adapter itself. This is a restriction imposed by the Linux kernel. For more information please refer to 3.6 Local Bridges.
If you are using local bridging to make a bridged connection between a Virtual Hub and a physical LAN as described in section 3.6 Local Bridges, we recommend you set aside a network adapter specifically for this purpose. This will result in the best performance when using local bridging.
...works fine on Windows.

eddiewu

Post by eddiewu » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:26 am

This question has been asked a thousand of times. You can’t do that because of a Linux kernel restriction. The workaround is use a TAP device instead of directly bridging the virtual hub with the server side LAN.

PH-IT

Post by PH-IT » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:22 pm

Hi would a 2nd NIC resolve this problem?