Config to use SoftEther VPN on LG Smart TV

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
akane96

Config to use SoftEther VPN on LG Smart TV

Post by akane96 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:42 am

Hi everyone,
Is there someone here that knows how to share the VPN connection from a laptop to a Smart TV? Please help. thanks in advance

sky59

Re: Config to use SoftEther VPN on LG Smart TV

Post by sky59 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:41 am

pls be more specific what you want

who is going to be server? TV or laptop?

if TV, what processor is there? Is it a linux device? Are there libraries to support softehter?

dsholm

Post by dsholm » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:13 pm

akane96 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:42 am
Hi everyone,
Is there someone here that knows how to share the VPN connection from a laptop to a Smart TV? Please help. thanks in advance
I have not tried this, I am on Windows 11 and have not tested this, but you can try this:

Settings --> Network and Internet --> Advanced Network Settings --> More network adapter options

This should pull up a more familiar window, select both the VPN and WiFi (or Ethernet, whatever you are using to connect to your TV and not what you are using to connect your VPN) using the Ctrl Key after initially selecting one of the two and right click and select Bridge connections. That should bridge your TV network to your VPN device. You should then get a new IP on the TV.

I have not tested this, there could be issues.

Another option would be to build a VPN server (or use the laptop) and bridge the VPN server to your connection where your VPN is connecting, bridge that locally to a network switch or VLAN and connect the TV to the same L2 network and it should be able to get an IP on the VPN network. Then anything plugging into that switch should be on that same network as well.

Bridging over WiFi can possibly be complicated based on how your WiFi works.

-Walt

solo

Post by solo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:18 am

dsholm wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:13 pm
I have not tried this, I am on Windows 11 and have not tested this, but you can try this:
...select both the VPN and WiFi (or Ethernet, whatever you are using to connect to your TV and not what you are using to connect your VPN) using the Ctrl Key after initially selecting one of the two and right click and select Bridge connections.
Bridging to WiFi will not work.

Bridge VPN to Ethernet and connect TV to it. Works for me.

akane96

Post by akane96 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:45 pm

hi I am not familiar with that, how do we bridge VPN to ethernet, please? Can I have a detailed instructions please?

solo

Post by solo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:10 pm

akane96 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:45 pm
hi I am not familiar with that, how do we bridge VPN to ethernet, please? Can I have a detailed instructions please?
Look above - 'dsholm' has described it already.