All Client's Internet Traffic Going Through VPN Connection

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
gary9293

All Client's Internet Traffic Going Through VPN Connection

Post by gary9293 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:35 pm

I am using Client Ver 4.38, Build 9760 with Windows 10. It seems as if all Internet traffic is going through the VPN, and I don't want or need that. Looking at routes, I have observed that the VPN subnet is given a lower metric than my local network, and I also observe that the Internet sees my address as that of the VPN server (e.g. using ipchicken.com) as opposed to the address given by my local ISP. I have tried manually changing the metrics by editing routes in a variety of approaches, but this causes the VPN to fail. What do I need to do so that only traffic for the VPN goes over the VPN connection?

solo

Re: All Client's Internet Traffic Going Through VPN Connection

Post by solo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:48 am

If you have bridged server, in SE virtual NIC set a static IP and do not set default gateway.

If you use SecureNAT, do not set default gateway in Virtual DHCP.

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:56 pm

Alternative if you use bridging:
in the properties of the virtual Ethernet Card, TCP/IP, advanced properies: Set the metric manual to a large value like 500. Normally this should be enough that the default route will take precedence over the VPN. Still traffic to the Network where the VPN is located will be sent through the VPN.

gary9293

Post by gary9293 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:01 pm

Thank you to 'solo' and 'nobody12'. So far, it appears that solo's suggestion is working, but strangely the VPN connection only works if the metric for the client's SE virtual adapter remains set at 1. Notwithstanding this, route print shows that for the destination of 0.0.0.0 my local subnet is selected and has a higher priority (lower metric) than for connections over the VPN, and the Internet sees my traffic as coming from my local ISP (as desired).

nobody12

Post by nobody12 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:57 am

Strange finding.
Until now the metric "method" always worked and is working still here.
I can only guess: maybe the default adapter metric is set to a wrong value? On my system the ethernet card is set to automatic metric and powershell shows a value of 25, the VPN adapter is set to manual metric with a value of 100.

gary9293

Post by gary9293 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:07 pm

Thank you, nobody12, I agree; I would have expected things to work as you describe. If I learn more I'll post it here.