Is it possible to use SoftEther VPN Azure with an Intel Mac?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
bentwookie

Is it possible to use SoftEther VPN Azure with an Intel Mac?

Post by bentwookie » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:07 pm

I'm doing some volunteer work for an organization with really zero IT support. I have a small NUC running Windows 10 Pro I need to reach from something like an Intel based Macbook. I've following the instructions to setup a SoftEther VPN Azure connection, but can't get it to work.

* VPN Azure is enabled and shows as connectred
* I can ping the xx.vpnazure.net IP
* I've enabled all options in L2TP

When I try using the built in Mac VPN client with L2TP, I'm told it can't reach the server
When I try using iSstp on a Mac, it says it can't reach the server
When I try using Window's VPN (as the per the instructions) it says it can't connect to the server

I can ping my vpnazure.net ddns name on all these machines, so I'm unsure what the hang up is!

Is there a way to connect an Intel based Macbook (so not an M1 machine that might run an iOS SSTP client like SSTP Connect) which can connect to a SoftEther VPN server on a Windows box behind some kind of NAT?

Thanks!

solo

Re: Is it possible to use SoftEther VPN Azure with an Intel Mac?

Post by solo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:53 am

bentwookie wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:07 pm
Is there a way to connect an Intel based Macbook (so not an M1 machine that might run an iOS SSTP client like SSTP Connect) which can connect to a SoftEther VPN server on a Windows box behind some kind of NAT?
Yes, here is MacOS SoftEther VPN Intel Client

BTW
- L2TP does not work via VPN Azure
- SSTP client requires server certificate import (aka "When I try using Window's VPN")
- DDNS operates on x.softether.net domain, not x.vpnazure.net

bentwookie

Post by bentwookie » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:54 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I built the two tools and then tried connecting like so:

Code: Select all

nibbler-3.local> ./vpncmd
vpncmd command - SoftEther VPN Command Line Management Utility
SoftEther VPN Command Line Management Utility (vpncmd command)
Version 4.38 Build 9760   (English)
Compiled 2021/08/17 22:32:49 by buildsan at crosswin
Copyright (c) SoftEther VPN Project. All Rights Reserved.

By using vpncmd program, the following can be achieved. 

1. Management of VPN Server or VPN Bridge 
2. Management of VPN Client
3. Use of VPN Tools (certificate creation and Network Traffic Speed Test Tool)

Select 1, 2 or 3: 2

Specify the host name or IP address of the computer that the destination VPN Client is operating on. 
If nothing is input and Enter is pressed, connection will be made to localhost (this computer).
Hostname of IP Address of Destination: stawpcat.vpnazure.net

Error occurred. (Error code: 1)
Connection to the server failed. Check network connection and make sure that address and port number of destination server are correct.
On the server side, it shows that the vpn server is connected to the relay at stawpcat.vpnazure.net, but I can't seem to reach it from my Mac.

In the Server's Encryption and Network Settings, I see a server certificate has been created for my server. Do I need to install that someplace else as well? In Windows someplace on the server or on my Mac?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

solo

Post by solo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:26 am

Incorrect, go vpncmd > #2 > localhost
Just follow this guide.

bentwookie

Post by bentwookie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:38 am

This is getting too complicated to hand over to a bunch of volunteers. I'm going to have to come up with something different. However, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

solo

Post by solo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:14 am

If you believe that the NAT is impenetrable and you have to use the Azure, try this:
- get another small NUC with WiFi for the client
- install Windows SE client on it
- bridge SE VPN adapter to LAN adapter on the NUC
- connect the Mac or any PC with a LAN cable to the NUC
- connect NUC SE client via the Azure using WiFi

If the NAT is penetrable and you can forward ports, then you can easily and directly use on the Mac either L2TP or OpenVPN clients with your SE server.

bentwookie

Post by bentwookie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:00 pm

The challenge I have is that the clients have MacBooks at their house. If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need to drop a NUC off at all their houses. I don't mind some upfront work in the office to support them, but any work done on the Macs is going to have to be pretty simple.

solo

Post by solo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:59 pm

The 2x NUCs SE network scenario can serve multiple Mac clients if they are on the same LAN, otherwise it does not scale-up well.

Consider a different VPN network, where the NAT-limited server and all clients connect to another, interconnecting, server which can be accessed with port forwarding. Perhaps one of the clients can 'donate' their internet connection for this purpose?

bentwookie

Post by bentwookie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:13 pm

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and take on ownership of whatever is routing internet into the place. With that, I can just forward through the right ports and call it a day. The cost being that whenever anything goes wrong with, well anything internet related, it will become my problem ;)

Such is volunteer work. Thanks again for all your advice!