Dynamic DNS detects wrong IP, tweak possible?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
shaglord

Dynamic DNS detects wrong IP, tweak possible?

Post by shaglord » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:29 am

Hey fellow softether users.

I run softether on many small routers and it's working great. Many of these don't obtain public IP's because the ISP isn't providing any (no problem). They get private IPs but they are still all on the same network and can connect to eachother using the private IPs. These private IPs still change every time a device reboots and it gets a bit annoying to manually update all the cascade connection profiles.

I was wondering if it's possible to tweak the softether dynamic dns function "xxx.softether.net" to override which IP is being registered? I'd like it to be the private IP which still is very useful to me for ISP internal connections.

Thank you so very much for reading and commenting. /Mike

solo

Re: Dynamic DNS detects wrong IP, tweak possible?

Post by solo » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:32 pm

Hi, you could make this new feature request here https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEtherVPN/issues

Why not cascade them all to a common SE hub on an accessible public IP?

shaglord

Re: Dynamic DNS detects wrong IP, tweak possible?

Post by shaglord » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:17 am

solo wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:32 pm
Hi, you could make this new feature request here https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEtherVPN/issues

Why not cascade them all to a common SE hub on an accessible public IP?
Thank you so very much for replying.

I could but then the traffic would have to travel much farther, and be limited by all the daily congestion variations. I don't have a public IP with this particular ISP. I would have to bridge over another ISP and that cuts the speed significantly. I'm lucky if I can get 20% at times.