Why SoftEther client can not acquire IP from server on Mobile hotspot?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
john96

Why SoftEther client can not acquire IP from server on Mobile hotspot?

Post by john96 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:28 am

I hope I will be able to clearly state my question.
I am testing SoftEther using IPv6. I am on IPv6 offered by mobile internet connection hotspot.
So, the server is on public IPv6 thru mobile hotspot. I make a connection to it and it works, however it fails to get IP to the VPN client. Finally, client settles with link local.
Is this the way it is or am I missing something?
Also I suppose there’s no provision of ULA in SoftEther. My knowledge on this topic is very poor. Sorry if there are any mistakes in the question itself.

Basically when on IPv4 the router which is connected to server gives private IPv4 to VPN client.
Now here in IPv6 everything is handled by the mobile hotspot. Every client directly connected to mobile hotspot otherwise gets public IPv6.
Thanks.

sky59

Re: Why SoftEther client can not acquire IP from server on Mobile hotspot?

Post by sky59 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:46 am

So, your VPN client connects to the softether server?

Do you have DHCP server on your VPN subnet the client connects to?

eddiewu

Post by eddiewu » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:26 am

On the mobile hotspot network everything gets IPv6 address. True. But the situation is only your server is on it. The clients connecting to the server are not. They are on a se virtual hub.
You can place the clients in the same network as the server by creating a local bridge on the se server. However that generally requires a wired connection. Since you said it’s on mobile hotspot I assume that is a wireless adapter.
Another option is to setup a tap device and on which something giving out IPV6 prefixes such as radvd or dnsmasq and route the tap network with the hotspot network. That will work but can very difficult to setup if you are not an expert.
If you can replace the wireless adapter with a wired one, things will be much easier.

john96

Post by john96 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:44 pm

@eddiewu @sky59

Got it! I need to create a local bridge between hub & the network adapter. However as it's now clear it needs wired Ethernet.
There's no option to create bridge between hub & wireless adapter.

For now once the server & client are connected, I am anyways able to RDP into server by using IPv6 link local. Yet to test it with completely different ISP's though. On IPv4 there's anyways virtual DHCP that works fine.
Thanks.

john96

Post by john96 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:47 pm

Furthermore it seems when I create a mobile USB tethering, even SoftEther is not able to detect the plun-n-play NDIS Ethernet soft adapter (For bridging) that gets created in Windows 10 network connections during the session.

solo

Post by solo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:13 pm

It is not about ability to detect the adapter. If an adapter lacks the promiscuous mode capability, it is not offered for bridging.