No IPv6 to client pc when connected thru Windows 10 L2TP

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
john96

No IPv6 to client pc when connected thru Windows 10 L2TP

Post by john96 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:04 am

Hi,
I am testing Softether VPN on IPv6. My ISP assigns me IPv6 however it is I believe dynamic. Each device connected to router gets ip6 GUA.
When I connect to my Softether server running on Windows 10 using Softether client (client is on mobile hotspot that is also ipv6)from my Windows 10 laptop, the client properly acquires IPv6 GUA. The Hub on server is bridged with the ethernet adapter which is connected to my router.

However when I connect to server's IPv6 using the Windows 10 built-in VPN client, it does connect using L2TP over IPsec preshared key on IPv6 but the client does not acquire IPv6. It only gets IPv4. If I disable IPv4, then connection fails eventually.

Am I missing something or is this a limitation of windows built in client?
No much info on the internet about this case seems like.
Thanks.

eddiewu

Re: No IPv6 to client pc when connected thru Windows 10 L2TP

Post by eddiewu » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:53 am

This is a limitation of the standard edition of softether server. You can use the developer edition which supports IPv6 tunnel over L2TP.
The nightly build is here if you don't know how to build using Visual Studio.
https://dev.azure.com/SoftEther-VPN/Sof ... dArtifacts

john96

Re: No IPv6 to client pc when connected thru Windows 10 L2TP

Post by john96 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:47 pm

@eddiewu
Thanks a lot! It worked as expected with the developer edition when I connected to the server on IPv6 using Windows 10 Built-in L2TP connection with preshared key. It properly acquired GUA IPv6 to the L2TP connection.