Use of SoftEther in a Bridged Windows Network Environment

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
byruda

Use of SoftEther in a Bridged Windows Network Environment

Post by byruda » Thu May 05, 2022 10:22 am

I have recently been transferred to a jurisdiction where the ISP is blocking VoIP ports for residential users. My VoIP SIP server is in the US.
I would like the forum's opinion on the workability of a solution I would like to implement.
I propose to set up a openvpn server on a system in North America and then use SoftEther on a Windows laptop at my foreign residence.
My VoIP hardware is connected to the laptop's local Ethernet port. 'Net access is through my wireless port.
SoftEther will create a VPN1 virtual adapter on the laptop. If I use the Microsoft bridging function to bridge the wired Ethernet port to the SofEther VPN1 virtual adapter, will all Level 2 packets from the VoIP hardware flow through the VPN and emerged on the VPN's local network address at the openvpn server location?
I am hoping that, by doing a level 2 bridge, the VoIP hardware will appear to be on the local network at the server location and even receive its DHCP assigned address from the router in North America. The foreign ISP will not be able to interfere with this traffic.
I would like comments on whether the forum thinks this method will work. If not, what other mechanism could I employ?
I also have on the laptop a dynamic Putty tunnel port on my laptop but the VoIP hardware device does not support use of a proxy, unlike my browser or RealVNC software.
Any help would be much appreciated. My ability to work remotely in an effective manner depends on getting my VoIP service to work.
Thank you.

solo

Re: Use of SoftEther in a Bridged Windows Network Environment

Post by solo » Thu May 05, 2022 10:59 am

byruda wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:22 am
I propose to set up a openvpn server on a system in North America and then use SoftEther on a Windows laptop at my foreign residence.
No, set up a SoftEther server. Then on SoftEther client in the Connection Mode Settings field of the Advanced Settings window select "Bridge / Router Mode" and bridge the vNIC to your wired Ethernet port with the VoIP hardware.

byruda

Re: Use of SoftEther in a Bridged Windows Network Environment

Post by byruda » Thu May 05, 2022 12:19 pm

Thank you. I will give that a try.