Question about clustering and static virtual hubs

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
maxime

Question about clustering and static virtual hubs

Post by maxime » Tue May 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Hi,

I'm new to softether and VPN in general, so I read most of the doc and came up with the following solution for a VPN cluster.

I have a controller with a single cluster member inside a private LAN. I have a single load balancer in front of both machines. This load balancer is the only external IP I have. In fact, I'm going with a cluster and static hubs because I can't have more than a few external IPs in my setup and I need to maximize the number of connections to the VPN. I originally planned on scaling the number of cluster members as I need to increase the number of client connections.

The issue is, I can't get it to work. I can't enable SecureNAT on the hub, I can't get DHCP to work and so the whole thing kinda not works. I even get my client access denied when I hit the cluster member, which leads me to believe I'm completely misunderstanding the cluster and static hub functions.

Is anybody able to clarify these concepts a bit? Maybe help me come up with a way to make the public IP limitation work with a cluster setup?
Thanks!

eddiewu

Re: Question about clustering and static virtual hubs

Post by eddiewu » Wed May 11, 2022 2:14 am

Clusters servers must be on public IP as well. Cluster controller is not a relay server or a reverse proxy. It just randomly picks a server and sends its address and port to the client.

maxime

Re: Question about clustering and static virtual hubs

Post by maxime » Wed May 11, 2022 1:51 pm

Got it. Makes sense with what I observed.

Thanks!