Internet access in cluster mode

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
maxime

Internet access in cluster mode

Post by maxime » Tue May 10, 2022 9:06 pm

I'm testing a cluster configuration and I can't figure out why my users stop having access with dynamic/DHCP hubs.

In standalone, I have a virtual hub with SecureNAT/DHCP enabled. Clients connect to the VPN and the "0.0.0.0/0" routes work through the HUB. I then switch the server to a controller (with VPN traffic enabled) and I test two different combinations:
1) In static mode, the bridge to the local adapter is operational, but without DHCP the users never get an IP.
2) In dynamic mode, I enable DHCP as I figured it was the missing piece. Users get assigned an IP but do not have access to the internet.

Am I missing something in the jump from a standalone to a cluster setup?

eddiewu

Re: Internet access in cluster mode

Post by eddiewu » Wed May 11, 2022 2:10 am

Dynamic hub is designed for interconnection between clients, not for internet access.

maxime

Post by maxime » Wed May 11, 2022 12:41 pm

So the only configuration that would support the use case is standalone mode, scale out with new servers as the demand grows?

eddiewu

Post by eddiewu » Wed May 11, 2022 2:07 pm

What is your use case?

maxime

Post by maxime » Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 pm

Remote access VPN with internet access through the VPN. The aim is both added privacy, but also inter-connection with the users. Think typical nordvpn-like services but where users are able to connect to each other on the virtual LAN.