How to implement a star topology?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
SirSundays

How to implement a star topology?

Post by SirSundays » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:25 pm

Hi guys,

I hope someone here can help. So I have set up an instance of Softether. That works great if I just want to connect with individual clients. I could even connect a RUT955 router.
Now, the idea is that I connect a router as a VPN client, and then if I connect with another client to the VPN, maybe a laptop, I want to be able to access the local network of this router.
I managed to do it with OpenVPN on its own, but I want to be able to maybe connect other routers in the future. Also, the user management is kinda nice.
In the end, there may be 6 routers connected and I just need to connect to this one VPN to access them all.

I hope someone understands what I'm trying to do.
I remember in OpenVPN I needed to add something like route and push to the server config.

Regards,
Jan

solo

Re: How to implement a star topology?

Post by solo » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:40 pm

SirSundays

Post by SirSundays » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:22 am

Hi solo,

thanks for your comment. I had another look at the link you posted.
I understand the part with the virtual hubs on the main VPN server but do I really need to have another instance of Softether with a Virtual Hub on either location. Because this would not be possible. We only have a router on the edge which has VPN capabilities.
I had some further look into this topic. Would it be possible to achieve something like this with static routes?
I had a look at an older OpenVPN Setup there as far as I can tell, something like this was used:

Code: Select all

route 10.180.100.0 255.255.255.0
push "route 10.180.100.0 255.255.255.0"

solo

Post by solo » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:04 am

Other vHUBs are optional, instead you can use SE clients with routing and IP forwarding. While SE supports a variety of VPN protocol clients, this concept will work for sure only with SE clients. I have recently tried SE server with SSTP clients on a similar topology - still unresolved.