Synology VPN client to SoftEtherVPN server on Win10

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
daniel@netcius.net

Synology VPN client to SoftEtherVPN server on Win10

Post by daniel@netcius.net » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:33 am

Hi

I have a SoftEther VPN server running on a Win10 machine. Connections via OpenVPN or L2PT/IPsec work flawless from Windows or Android clients.

I have tried endlessly to connect an offsite Synology NAS by configuring a VPN network adapter on the NAS - again with OpenVPN and/or L2PT/IPsec. Sometimes I get a "connected" status but still can't reach the NAS from the local network (which is has a local bridge from the VPN server). Most cases, I don't even get a connection. I have exhausted what I think are all possible configurations

I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully connected a Synology NAS via a VPN client network adapter on the NAS.

solo

Re: Synology VPN client to SoftEtherVPN server on Win10

Post by solo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:03 am

Try to connect in L2TPv3 mode.

daniel@netcius.net

Post by daniel@netcius.net » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:13 pm

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion - I was really excited as this was the first time I have had a constructive proposal on this issue.

Unfortunately, the issue remains. The Synology VPN network client connects to the Softether server (and all session information and the logs look completely normal) - but there is no real connection. The traffic counter on the Synology stops at 68 bytes sent, 54bytes received - i.e. nothing at all. Not a single byte gets ever added.

The only thing that is unusual is that on the Synology is shows 1.0.0.1 as a gateway (which is nonsense). When I connect the via OpenVPN to my Router (which has some basic vpn functionality) - so NOT to the SoftEther server - it shows no gateway information altogther - but works. Anyway, highly unlikely to be the problem as what doesn't work is the other way round, i.e. from the SoftEther server to the Synology NAS.

Any suggestions?

solo

Post by solo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:37 am

If L2TPv3 mode is ineffective then you have to turn things around - enable Synology VPN server and then connect to it as L2TP/IPsec client from the Win10 machine with SE server, on which you need to enable IP forwarding and/or routing/bridging to unify the networks.