securenat and bridge clarification/issue

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
petrosmm

securenat and bridge clarification/issue

Post by petrosmm » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Hello,

Like many before me here: I obviously don't understand SoftEther. The manual has been read too many times. I am reading all over this forum that SecureNAT and bridge are mutually exclusive meaning you have one or the other! Have a very simple setup -- connect from my laptop to a remote office location that has a SoftEther. The connection only works properly to access the office lan like normal and my own internet (without pass all traffic). If I have SecureNAT enabled (192.168.30.1 -> 192.168.30.x) and I have a bridge (physical NIC on windows from 10.1.10.1 -> 10.1.10.x) setup, it works like normal. Two things sound off as inappropriate: (one) the office router went down during routine maintenance the DHCP belonging to the SecureNAT started highjacking DHCP assignments to other office devices. Two, if I disable the bridge, the internet on my laptop stops working. If I disable the SecureNAT, it works fine but I get 10.1.10.x assignments which I really want my VPN clients to be identified as 192.168.30.x on my network to tell the difference between local devices and remote devices. Now, the last material detail is that I have a static route added, "10.1.10.0/255.255.255.0/192.168.30.1" -- all of this running on Windows 7. Currently, still not sure how to resolve this. Thoughts, comments, concerns?
Last edited by petrosmm on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

solo

Re: securenat and bridge clarification/issue

Post by solo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:26 pm

Hi, on the server with SecureNAT (enabled as is), disable firewall(s), delete the bridge and connect a VPN client. If still unresolved, post as code from the client:

Code: Select all

ipconfig /all
netstat -r
Redact public IP and private info, if any, but do not remove anything.

petrosmm

Re: securenat and bridge clarification/issue

Post by petrosmm » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:38 pm

Ok,

Resolved! After much absence, it is now clear that the cause of this issue was using Windows 7. A brand new linux box was brought online with identical settings/routes/users and no issue at all. Unrelated, but a warning to other users: this is the second issue this year with Windows 7. The first was apparently vpnserver/vpnbridge are very leaky in a build after 2020.