Maximum number of bridges?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
LonnieTC

Maximum number of bridges?

Post by LonnieTC » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:35 pm

Hello All,

Hope that everyone is doing well today.

I have searched exhaustively for a very long time for possible VPN solutions ranging from Client-Server, P2P, and Mesh models only to come back to what I initially explored with SoftEther a very long time ago which ultimately seems to be the best for my needs.

In as much, I am exploring the idea of possibly running a server on each user node and then bridging perhaps a set of servers together effectively making a psuedo P2P (limited connections to perhaps 5 or so per server) VPN.

Ultimately this will be for a set of game servers that could host potentially many thousands of users across thousands of hosts with each having maybe 5 - 10 bridged connections to servers in the cluster. This would be like making a P2P network with server nodes each having only a few bridge connections to other nodes, as an idea since I do not think that SoftEther has any P2P capabilities.

The idea is that the users run a SorftEther server locally and then connect to it with their local client in some way when needed but the server always runs locally. Still working out the details of the idea.

Anyway, I am wondering if SoftEther has any limits on the total number of bridges in a network and also if there is a limit on the total number of bridges to/from a single server as well?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as the goal is to support many thousands of users in a type of distributed network.

Thanks, and have a great day

LonnieTC

Re: Maximum number of bridges?

Post by LonnieTC » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi All,

As a follow up, after some reading on SoftEther, it might be possible to build a dynamic SoftEther Cluster that has Dynamic Virtual Hubs, but still not sure on this.

As SoftEther is a Client-Server design, it probably cannot support a P2P topology but I truly like that it is Enterprise level and that it really works well for what it is designed to do so if I can figure out a way to use it efficiently for this purpose then I am going to try.